Thread: Questions concerning a first build.

Feedback Score

Questions concerning a first build.

Hey everybody,

I've been lurking around for a while and just recently registered, and since I am a firm believer in the fact that I have definitely been bitten by the "BRD"...i'm looking to do a build.

I have a standard Colt A2 thats bone stock already in the safe, so this isn't going to be my first AR, but after countless hours of research and looking at picture threads and reading and studying...i've think I have a build plan except I need a couple pointers on a few components.

Here's what i've come up with so far...

Vltor MUR upper
    POF lower
    Magpul Miad
    Troy or LaRue BUIS (I haven't decided)
    LMT BCG
    Daniel Omega rail
    Tango down VFG
    Vortex FH
    Aimpoint or EOtech (haven't decided)
    SOPMOD or Magpul UBR (undecided)

What i'm lacking is a barrel and LPK...among other things I know.

For a barrel I was thinking an RRA 16" chrome lined M4 contour in 5.56mm. Is there a better brand that I should consider?

Also, as far as LPK's...other than the different triggers available, are they all about the same?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you are looking for a higher end barrel, its worth examining the Novekse chrome lined model. High degree of accuracy and increased longevity make it a winning barrel by anyones count.

There are some threads on it here, and more information can be found on the Noveske website. I believe Grant of G&R Tactical is one of the companies that is able to get that barrel and make custom builds out of it. If you are looking for the Vltor MUR, that would be a solid platform for your project.

Another option would be contacting Noveske Rifleworks and having it built for you there. They work closely with Vltor, and I seriously doubt getting a MUR to replace a standard upper would be an issue in the least.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    I edited my original post to reflect "MUR" and also "POF." Sorry, it was late.

I checked out the G&R Tactical website and I see they offer Noveske/Pac-Nor as one of their barrel manufacturers. I think highly of Pac-Nor and i'm having a bolt gun built as we speak using one their barrels; however, what i'm looking to do is build an M4gery...so i'm looking for an M4 contour. I didn't see where that was offered. Any other suggestions?

I also noticed a POF "Timney" drop-in trigger group. I've used Timney triggers on other firearms, so i'm sure it would be a top tier choice as far as my search for a LPK. I also understand the safety, mag release, bolt catch, take down pins, etc. aren't included; so that would have to be considered.

If you are looking for the Vltor MUR, that would be a solid platform for your project.
    I agree and thats why i'm also looking for a billet lower. I figure a POF lower in any of their configurations is a sound choice for my other half.

I am looking to do a higher end build but i'm also in no hurry; thats why i'm looking to do it myself.

Thank you Stickman for your reply!

I appreciate your help.