Thread: Do any lefties use 45 degree offset BUIS?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Do any lefties use 45 degree offset BUIS?

I am considering some KAC flip up offset iron sights.

My plan would be to mount them on the left rail of the gun, and be able to twist the gun 45 degrees to the right for lining them up.
    Is this possible? Or will they not work this way?

One concern is if they will be too far on the side of the gun to be useable?
    Second concern is that the front AND the rear would have to be mounted on the forearm quad rail. This puts the rear sight pretty far from my eye. Probably making around 10" of eye relief. Therefore I was thinking a 300m aperture would be best for such a long relief. I fear not being able to see well, and having a terrible field of view if a 600m aperature was 10" from my eye.

Another way would be to mount them "backwards" on the top rail. They would just flip up in a different direction from a righty shooter.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Check out Dueck Defense RTS sights. Website says they're useable for left- or right-handed shooters. They look pretty slick but pricey.
    lowdowndad

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Those Dueck's are indeed nice. I even handled some and they feel solid. But they don't flip down. I'd prefer the streamline attribute of some that folded down out of the way.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    To answer your questions:

1) yes you can mount them on the left side. The front sight (if you decide to do it) is capable of being turned around in order to accommodate for this but the rear sight will have to be deployed reversed as the windage adjustment knob will not allow you flip the actual sight post assembly around.
    2) the 200-600m rear sight now has a removable aperture allow the shooter to have the option of a small marksman aperture or a combat style (larger) aperture.

Feedback Score
    I just run them backward.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a T1 mounted in a Larue 45 degree offset mount. I am a lefty and the T1 is offset on the left side with an ACOG on top. Works great.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm a lefty as well, and unless you are committed to the idea of using iron sights, a micro red dot works well on the DD or Larue offset rail. If you dont like the idea of the T1 the RMRs work well, I have used that setup and it was effective

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LAWMENS View Post
    To answer your questions:

1) yes you can mount them on the left side. The front sight (if you decide to do it) is capable of being turned around in order to accommodate for this but the rear sight will have to be deployed reversed as the windage adjustment knob will not allow you flip the actual sight post assembly around.
    2) the 200-600m rear sight now has a removable aperture allow the shooter to have the option of a small marksman aperture or a combat style (larger) aperture.
    Is this done by tapping out the dove tail, turning it 180, and tapping back in?
    - Mark Twain