Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: which one?

Feedback Score

which one?

hey guys, been shooting rifles all of my life...just new to the AR world. I am looking at getting an "AR" in a .308 and had some choices. here are some that I have picked out and the prices that I can get them locally at:

http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.asp...0-49488ec48776
    $1340

http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm...30816MLMOE.asp
    $1170

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5728
    $990

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=255
    A4-$1120

which would be more accurate out of the box? better quality for the money? more parts interchangeable? better base to start with and build from in the future? ive been reading and im pretty sure that I have read that the LAR doesnt have the parts support as much as an AR does? ill keep reading, but figured id post this to maybe get some insight considering the prices.

Thanks!!!

Feedback Score
    Do you have a specific budget? Have you looked at LMT, Colt, Larue, KAC or even LWRCI? I am an LMT owner and have been very pleased with their product. I wish I could shoot my LMT more.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    All of the rifles you listed are pieces of shit, literally. Not only are they huge, steaming piles of commercial shit but they cost significantly more than a QUALITY 5.56 rifle or other quality .308's. None of the rifles you listed are worth the sweat off a camels hump, my friend.

My advice: If you want a .308 -- get an LMT, Colt, or comparable. It's worth the extra $$$. Or, you could piece together your own.. Please, don't give $1000+ to DPMS, Rock River, or Bushmaster.

edit: Armalite is junk too but I'd probably take it over the other brands you listed.
    Last edited by djmorris; 03-23-12 at 14:14.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Djmorris is spot on about the steamy piles of shit. I vote for saving up for Colt sp901 if you are dead set on a .308. If it is your first AR , I would look into a quality 5.56mm carbine. (BCM, DD, LMT, Colt) Good luck.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rekkr870; 03-23-12 at 14:13.
    Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing. George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    I'm fairly new to this forum but anticipated that sort of response to his post and from the little I've already learned I can understand why those are junk.

But I'm curious to know why someone new to the AR platform should get a 5.56 first, even if they're in the market for a .308.

If the person's goal is to get a nice semi-auto .308, because they want the extra range, punch, whatever, over .223, would you recommend a different platform than the AR if they wouldn't get a 5.56 AR first?

Is it some sort of unwritten rule to get a 5.56 AR first? Just curious the rationale behind that recommendation.

Thanks!
    Last edited by feedramp; 03-23-12 at 16:45.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jay35 View Post
    I'm fairly new to this forum but anticipated that sort of response to his post and from the little I've already learned I can understand why those are junk.

But I'm curious to know why someone new to the AR platform should get a 5.56 first, even if they're in the market for a .308.

If the person's goal is to get a nice semi-auto .308, because they want the extra range, punch, whatever, over .223, would you recommend a different platform than the AR if they wouldn't get a 5.56 AR first?

Is it some sort of unwritten rule to get a 5.56 AR first? Just curious the rationale behind that recommendation.

Thanks!
    I think that the 5.56 would be a better choice due to practice, practice ,practice. 5.56 is cheap and match ammo is readily available. Not to say .308 isn't, but 5.56 is much easier to learn on. Being your first AR platform rifle, why not learn the system first? 800 meters is no problem for precision work with a quality 5.56 / .223 rifle and good ammo. A .308 rifle is also alot more expensive than a .223 rifle (especially in the AR platform) I just do not think that it is worth the investment to jump in to the AR game blindly by buying the .308. With the money saved by purchasing the 5.56, you could get and optic, ammo, and maybe some training. The latter, far outweighs the extra "punch" provided by the .308. Learn to use the tool and get familiarized, then you will know exactly what you want.

Feedback Score
    Thank you, well reasoned!

Question: Does "good ammo" in your opinion = hand-loads or something not generally available in a local shop, or is there generally a wide selection of "good" 5.56 ammo to be had without getting into crazy expensive or custom loads?
    Last edited by feedramp; 03-23-12 at 17:58.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jay35 View Post
    Thank you, well reasoned!

Question: Does "good ammo" in your opinion = hand-loads or something not generally available in a local shop, or is there generally a wide selection of "good" 5.56 ammo to be had without getting into crazy expensive or custom loads?
    Good ammo in my opinion means hand loads. However, there are MANY types of great ammunition that you can buy in the store, specifically Hornady or Black Hills, some Barnes or Federal. All of these brands of ammo can be found in stores or online. Stick with known quality ammunition manufacturers. The good thing about the AR platform is that a quality rifle whether it be an SPR, Recce or SBR will produce great results with ammo ranging from XM193 to Mk262. (See Tridents MRP SBR) Of course we know some ammo is better than others. I happen to like the 69gr SMK ammunition. Pick your poison.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rekkr870; 03-23-12 at 18:29.
    Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing. George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    well, im not new to the rifle world at all. ive shot animals past 1000 yards before and im aware that you can use a .223 for that, its all about shot placement. I have a few .223 rifles and no .308, so why not get one when i buy my next rifle?

I could build an AR, I have access to all of the tools necessary....so thats not a problem. after pricing out all of the parts though, it came out to more than what I could get a built one for and then slowly build it instead of dropping a few grand instantly.

ive looked at the colt901 but i dont want to drop 2 grand on a gun up front, if that was the case then i would get a larue which is only about 30 minutes north of where i live. if colt had another .308, then that may be something different.

my budget? not really one....just dont want to drop much more than a grand on a single rifle right off the bat

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

You cannot buy a quality .308 AR type rifle for $1000.
    Personally, if I wanted a .308, I'd get an LMT or a SCAR...

Just go buy a .308 Remington 7400 and call it a day. IT is a piece of crap too but you can get it in black plastic stocks if you want that "tacticool" look.
    It'll be good for a box of bullets a year for a few years, which will more than satisfy most "shooters".

If you're not willing to take the time to research and learn about what makes a quality AR, what you buy won't matter and you'll probably be happy with any piece of kaa-kaa.

But maybe it's just me...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast