Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Day of Reloading

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Bad Day of Reloading

Long story short, I need to pull 500 .223 bullets and I need to do it as fast as possible. Any recommendations?

Is it possible to air pull in a non-commercial sense?

I'd rather not kinetically pull. Doesn't that damage the brass/bullet/both?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunrgood View Post
    Long story short, I need to pull 500 .223 bullets and I need to do it as fast as possible. Any recommendations?

Is it possible to air pull in a non-commercial sense?

I'd rather not kinetically pull. Doesn't that damage the brass/bullet/both?
    It does not damage the brass and the bullet is fine unless it has a poimer tip and then it may get smooshed a bit. Standard non poly tip bullets are fine.
    pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    You're in for a long day. My sympathies.

I'd check your local reloading store (preferably a box store) that sells dies. You can get an RCBS or Hornady die for your press to pull the bullets, collets are separate. $35 ish. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...spx?catid=1464

That or wait a week and order online. I know this is not ASAP, but faster.

Found this on another forum;

A friend who was a commercial reloader used an air chisel pneumatic gun. He welded a shell holder (calber specific) to the cut off ends of cheap air chisels that fit his gun. Had a peice of tarp hanging in front of him to catch the slugs and powder. Put the loaded round in the shell holder, pull the trigger on the air chisel. Case and bullet go out fast and case comes back fast, inertia separates bullet from case and it hits the tarp and rolls to the floor. You can pull pistol bullets as fast as you can put them in the shell holder.
    Last edited by Sticks; 06-01-12 at 05:08.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    You can get an RCBS or Hornady die for your press to pull the bullets, collets are separate.
    In my experience, the Hornady is dramatically more pleasant to use. The lever action is much more convenient and needs less adjustment.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Come on fess up what did you do? Probably not as bad as my last f'up. I bought a new sizer recently and apparently didn't look at the label carefully enough before I left the store. I started resizing my 223 brass and it seemed to take a bit more force than usual. Oh, well I continued for about a hundred rounds until I started to inspect the brass more closely. Damn, that neck looked kinda stretched out more than usual. Then I looked at the die more closely and sure enough it was a .222 sizer
    As the great warrior poet Ice-Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you use the kinetic bullet puller, stick a plastic shipping peanut in the end. Preferably the more foaming kind and not the PS (poly styrene) kind. Protects the bullet.

Chad
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    you can also use a foam ear plug
    Jeff Cooper: "DVC" Diligencia, Vis, and Celeritas (Accuracy, Power and Speed)

"Combat Accuracy - As accurate as it needs to be, as fast as you can, as many times as it takes"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had to pull about a hundred rounds of 9mm luger. My hammer will bend long rifle rounds and put little pits in 9mm luger (not really a problem witht he pistol rounds).

Thanks for the ideas for the foam in the in kinetic bullet hammer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for all the help guys.

I'm going to look into the Hornady puller and collet.

Feedback Score
    FWIW, I use a RCBS kinetic puller and it has a chunk of foam in the impact end of the hammer that looks like a big earplug. I've pulled a few Z-max with no problems to the tips. FMJ & SPs are fine.

This won't help you with 500 bullets, but when I have a few to pull, I set these aside in a container to use to build up "fouler" cartridges. Eventually, I will have a few cases, a few punched out primers; put it all together and you have a fouler round.
    Last edited by BravoGolf59; 06-02-12 at 11:42. Reason: clarity

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast