Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Surefire M300 vs 600

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Surefire M300 vs 600

I am about to invest in a new weapon light for my mk18. I cant decide which one to get? I do use my AR to hunt Hogs with on occasion so a bright light is needed. How big of a difference is the 110 luman to 200 luman? I really like the small size of the 300 but not sure 110 is enough.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alex71 View Post
    I am about to invest in a new weapon light for my mk18. I cant decide which one to get? I do use my AR to hunt Hogs with on occasion so a bright light is needed. How big of a difference is the 110 luman to 200 luman? I really like the small size of the 300 but not sure 110 is enough.
    I have an 11.5 with the 300 mounted on a Haley Strategic mount. I went with the shorter version because of the shorter barrel. I would say if the glass can be pushed back so no residue covers it from firing, go with the shorter version. If you are going to grab a suppressor at some time, go with the longer version.

Another note, the lumens are perfect, no complaints, indoors to outdoors.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good to know. I think I am going to go with the 300.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I'll give a little different view...

Lumens: Don't really think you can have too much when it comes to outdoors. Indoors, you definitely can, and 200 is about the absolute max that I would look for indoors. I've found that 100-120 is a really nice compromise for both indoor & outdoor work.

Length: Not really a concern to me so long as its within reason, and the M600 is IMO. With the light mounts that are out there today, I see no problems finding a mounting solution that will work with your shooting style. Weight and bulk are of slightly higher importance than length is (for me). As far as not getting the blast residue on your lense, there are ways to keep it clean to make that a moot issue, so I wouldn't worry about that. (Notice Travis Haley's light setup here starting @ the 2:57 mark...pretty close to the muzzle break if you ask me, granted he probably runs suppressed 99% of the time, but it will still work either way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHw0Y...ature=youtu.be)

Application: This is where you really have to define what you are going to use your rifle for, what environment, range, ect. and find a solution from there. You say hog hunting, and since we're talking lights here, I assume you're hunting at night. I would definitely take the 200 lumens over the 110 here. However, if home defese is ultimately your number one use with the rifle, then I would probably go with the M300. (I personally think a MK18 is much more a HD weapon than a hog gun IMO...but I guess that's besides the point)

Now, if you're hunting hogs at night, you may eventually want NODs for this, so if you went with the M600, you could get a vampire head, drop it on, and have a very capable IR night gun! (this is the solution that I am going for with my 12" SBR)

Here's a thread that might pique your interest: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94628 I would read through it if I were you

Decisions, decisions...
    Last edited by Ironman8; 05-21-12 at 19:57. Reason: ETA for Haley video showing light setup

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks for the info. I know the mk18 is not the best hog gun but it does ok. The main role the gun is just for training. We typically run drills during the day but on occasion like to run in the dark. The furthest we shoot is 75 yards at night. So would the m300 be able to light up a 10inch steel target at 75-100 yards? I may just have to get both of them

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Ehh it's been a while since I've done night shooting out that far, but I had a Streamlight in the 120 lumen range on my weapon last time I did (around 100m) and remember target ID was pretty sketch. Making precise hits was even harder...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    From what it sounds like, the m600 would be more
    Practical for y situation. Thanks for the help

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Keep in mind that the Scout lights are getting a lumen boost. The 300 will be pushing around 170 and the 600 around 250. I run a mini scout on my 14.5" and 10.5" and it's adequate for outdoor use.

For hog hunting we often use night vision and/or a Surefire Hellfighter, but when we don't, I've never had an issue with the mini scout. I'll probably pick up a new one when they come out though, or the new IR model, depending on lumens.

Have you been using the 10.5" on hogs? I didn't have much success with mine unless very close, but I've recently switched to the Black Hills 50gr TSX (not the other loadings of 50gr TSX as it's a slightly different bullet) and 70gr TSX. I've seen nearly 400 pound hogs taken with the 50gr TSX from a 14.5" at roughly 100 yards.

The TSX is a game changer for hog hunting and I'll gladly use my 10.5" for 300 pound hogs within 100 yards. My 14.5" I'd trust to 200 for 350 to 400 pound hogs with 70gr TSX… granted I make a good hit.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alex71 View Post
    I really like the small size of the 300 but not sure 110 is enough.
    I believe that Surefire has been listing the X300 as 170 lumen for quite some time now.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by doddste4 View Post
    I believe that Surefire has been listing the X300 as 170 lumen for quite some time now.
    Right, but he's talking about the m300 mini scout, not the X300. The new X300 is also getting a boost to 250 and the ultra version will be 500.

The mini scout m300 is a 110 lumen light that is getting a boost, as is the standard scout m600.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 05-26-12 at 13:19.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast