Thread: Ruger\AICS magazine compatability?

Feedback Score

Ruger\AICS magazine compatability?

Most after market bottom metal magazine systems have standardized on the AICS type magazine. The Ruger scout rifle uses the AICS type magazine as well. I'm assuming that this means the factory Ruger scout magazines will work with a DM system that's designed for the AICS magazines. Has anyone tried this or does anyone have any info on this? TIA.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Gold View Post
    Most after market bottom metal magazine systems have standardized on the AICS type magazine. The Ruger scout rifle uses the AICS type magazine as well. I'm assuming that this means the factory Ruger scout magazines will work with a DM system that's designed for the AICS magazines. Has anyone tried this or does anyone have any info on this? TIA.
    Threads about this on SnipersHide.

IIRC (could be wrong)... AI mags work in the scout. Scout metal mags MAY work in your bottom metal. Scout polymer mags do not seem to work in anyone's rifle that I saw when I looked into this a couple months ago.

For the polymer mags, I think I read that they sit a tiny bit low and the the bolt passes right over the rounds. Haven't looked in quite some time so that could all be wrong. EDIT: This almost certainly applies to AICS stocks, but would be hit or miss in other stocks.

If that's still the case, it's MASSIVE fail on Ruger's part! They could have had a serious market for the poly AI-compatible mags.
    Last edited by Noodles; 05-23-12 at 12:54.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
    Threads about this on SnipersHide.

IIRC (could be wrong)... AI mags work in the scout. Scout metal mags MAY work in your bottom metal. Scout polymer mags do not seem to work in anyone's rifle that I saw when I looked into this a couple months ago.

For the polymer mags, I think I read that they sit a tiny bit low and the the bolt passes right over the rounds. Haven't looked in quite some time so that could all be wrong. EDIT: This almost certainly applies to AICS stocks, but would be hit or miss in other stocks.

If that's still the case, it's MASSIVE fail on Ruger's part! They could have had a serious market for the poly AI-compatible mags.
    Thanks for the info. The rifle I'm thinking of converting is a 700 PSS DM, and for a range toy $70+ is a bit much for magazines. I was really hoping that the Ruger magazine would work. I might have to get one and see if I can fit it.