Thread: Help me configure my rifle for Africa

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Help me configure my rifle for Africa

I am planning to go on a plains game hunt in Namibia next year. My previous safari was in Zambia and everything I took was within 200 yds give or take (including a buffalo at 50 yds - yikes!). I want to take on animals out to about 500 yds. The country is wide open with plenty of hills. I have a Remington 700 action for the 300 WM. I want to use 180-200 gr. bullets with a MV of about 2975-3000 fps (I want to use Barnes TTSX or maybe A Frames). I already have a McMillan HTG stock. Questions:

1. What is the shortest barrel I can get away with to acheive the above MV? Twist rate? I was thinking 25-26 inches with 1:11 (maybe !:10 twist).

2. I was thinking of getting a Badger DM setup with AI mags. Are these things noisy (ie rattle?).

3. Are Timney triggers pretty durable/reilable triggers in the field (ie dirt, dust, etc)

4. Scopes: I was thinking of just getting a Nightforce (though they sure are heavy).

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    1) 26" ... maybe 24, but I doubt it.
    2) Yes
    3) Yes
    4) Nightforce F1 if you are going that route.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score

Terminal bullet performance

I agree with using premium bullets, but must advise that at longer ranges you mention they might be too well built for the impact velocities you will have. Bullets that hold together in close may act like solids way out there.

Good glass with repeatable adjustments, a great trigger to break clean each time, and lots of practice at the distances you plan to shoot to.

Further consider the animals weight and structure when considering which bullet to use. A Springbok hardly requires the same as a Mountain Zebra or Gemsbok, the Kudu will surprise you!

Edit #2 portion, The Baboon, Kudu and the Leopard came from the Chewore North concession along the Zambezi River in 1991. Kudu is 57 1/2 on the long horn and 57 on the short, 10 7/8ths bases... Nice animal. The Leopard was 130 pounds and was taken over bait in daylight with .375 H&H Sako Safari, 300 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaws, the origianls by Jack Carter personally. I took several Baboons with a .257 Ackley, it was wicked good at that. The .375 was also very good on a couple of Cape Buffalo using 300 grain Swift A-Frames. I used a Browning Continental in .30-06 for the Kudu, and Barnes original 200 grain softs with .032 copper jackets.

Last edited by 308sako; 05-23-12 at 22:49.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Nice leopard! I like your kudu too. Thanks for insights all.

Feedback Score
    Yeah that kudu looks nice.

Tell us about the leopard hunt!

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    that damn monkey would just freak me out every time i walked in, but i like how you had it mounted, its genius.
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jwfuhrman View Post
    that damn monkey would just freak me out every time i walked in, but i like how you had it mounted, its genius.
    I would have mounted it so it's hands were up and teeth showing... Then put it in the coat closet.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The 300 win mag was designed to give 30-06 velocitys from a 24" barrel that said my custom 300 win has a 28" tube for launching big bullets.

I would think hard on the hand load 200g TTSX would be my pick for a do all bullet. Also a 1-10 twist is the best choice hands down do you have a builder?

Jon
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the good wishes, see above post for answers

Baboon vs Leopard skulls;

The Baboons original position

Last edited by 308sako; 05-23-12 at 22:55.

Feedback Score
    I would also suggest a 26" barrel with a 1:10 twist for those heavier Barnes bullets.

Is there anything wrong with the factory trigger on your action that you want to go to a Timney?