• No

45 69.23%
  • Sometimes (please explain)

6 9.23%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you run a laser?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    How about pistols? Crimson Trace anyone? I have a Viridian which I really like, but have yet to shoot it mounted so idk if it holds its zero (biggest problem with lasers I think - function wise). Until then I won't run it.
    I think a laser on a pistol can offer some benefit in low light situations, but after years of use and multiple training classes, I eventually took mine off. The laser was very accurate, and great in low light situations, but I found that whenever I shot under stress and did more than static shooting, I instinctively reverted back to my iron sights and never actually focused on the laser dot. Because of that, I decided to keep things simple and practice only with the sights I actually used under stress, and only shoot irons.

As for rifles, I don't see many benefits of a laser unless maybe it's IR and used with an NVD, and even at that, I think a red dot sight is better.

Feedback Score
    How about pistols? Crimson Trace anyone? I have a Viridian which I really like, but have yet to shoot it mounted so idk if it holds its zero (biggest problem with lasers I think - function wise). Until then I won't run it.
    Definitely would like to hear some insight from the pistol side as well. Never got one myself but I could see the value of it in a SHTF situation because aiming might not be as easy but I would probably just revert to muscle memory and not even look for the dot in that situation.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am also curious to the application in the civilian world. It makes a good pointer, it allows to aim when unable to achieve a cheekweld/if not able to see through irons/red dot, but this is all I can think of.

Feedback Score
    The only civilian application I use a laser for is hog hunting!

Tis a hell of a lot of fun

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU View Post
    Definitely would like to hear some insight from the pistol side as well. Never got one myself but I could see the value of it in a SHTF situation because aiming might not be as easy but I would probably just revert to muscle memory and not even look for the dot in that situation.
    I like it as a deterrent as well, I feel like it'd be even more effective than just a pistol pointed at you. Plus the Viridian I have is bright as shit and the range is pretty ridiculous. Its also the C5L and the tiny little light on there is 100 lumens and also impressively bright for its size.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I like it as a deterrent as well, I feel like it'd be even more effective than just a pistol pointed at you. Plus the Viridian I have is bright as shit and the range is pretty ridiculous. Its also the C5L and the tiny little light on there is 100 lumens and also impressively bright for its size.
    That makes sense, if a bad guy isn't shitting his pants looking down the barrel of a gun already seeing exactly where he is about to have a hole blown in him should do the trick

I have thought of getting one of the built in lasers for my Glock, just always find other toys I want too.

Feedback Score
    To more fully answer your question, I think a laser on a pistol isn't necessary, but can be a beneficial tool in certain situations IF the shooter treats it as a tool and doesn't rely solely on it. I've seen more than one shooter start relying completely on a laser and let proper shooting fundamentals go out the window.

From my experience, these are the pros and cons of using a laser on a pistol:

Pros
    1. You can shoot from unconventional positions and see where your bullet is going to hit without always having a proper sight picture
    2. It is easy to make accurate hits in Low/No light situations
    3. They can help show improper shooting/grip/trigger control problems during training
    4. They can have a powerful psychological effect on a bad guy that can potentially help defuse the threat

Cons
    1. They require a different shooting focus/mindset than iron sights, which can complicate things
    2. The dot can be very hard to see in the daytime
    3. They are battery powered, and electronics can fail
    4. They can cause some shooters to become reliant upon them, therefore sacrificing proper shooting fundamentals.
    5. They can telegraph your position when house clearing etc.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that come to mind.

I think lasers have their place and can be beneficial if the user understands they are a tool to be used on top of proper shooting fundamentals, and practices with them adequately.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    To more fully answer your question, I think a laser on a pistol isn't necessary, but can be a beneficial tool in certain situations IF the shooter treats it as a tool and doesn't rely solely on it. I've seen more than one shooter start relying completely on a laser and let proper shooting fundamentals go out the window.

From my experience, these are the pros and cons of using a laser on a pistol:

Pros
    1. You can shoot from unconventional positions and see where your bullet is going to hit without always having a proper sight picture
    2. It is easy to make accurate hits in Low/No light situations
    3. They can help show improper shooting/grip/trigger control problems during training
    4. They can have a powerful psychological effect on a bad guy that can potentially help defuse the threat

Cons
    1. They require a different shooting focus/mindset than iron sights, which can complicate things
    2. The dot can be very hard to see in the daytime
    3. They are battery powered, and electronics can fail
    4. They can cause some shooters to become reliant upon them, therefore sacrificing proper shooting fundamentals.
    5. They can telegraph your position when house clearing etc.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that come to mind.

I think lasers have their place and can be beneficial if the user understands they are a tool to be used on top of proper shooting fundamentals, and practices with them adequately.
    Very well said.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I find that CTC grips on smaller guns (i.e S&W Airlite) are useful where you have an extremely short sight radius.

They're only a crutch if you make them a crutch by not having enough practice with both iron and laser sighted systems.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    From a CONUS LE perspective, when shooting with a gas mask on, they are very helpful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast