45 69.23%
  • Sometimes (please explain)

6 9.23%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you run a laser?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JEL458 View Post
    From a CONUS LE perspective, when shooting with a gas mask on, they are very helpful.
    I'd imagine the same is true from behind a ballistic shield.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I'd imagine the same is true from behind a ballistic shield.
    I assumed the OP was thinking rifles, but absolutely. We recently did some bunker stuff at an FBI SWAT school and those that had crimson trace on their pistols had an easier time. That said, you can make shots using the port without much difficulty.

Shooting with a gas mask on when using a rifle can be very challenging. Vis lasers help with this.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a ct laser on my hd rifle. It came with it and I thought it was hokey at 1st. Then I and my wife both realized we can seethe dot and shoot effectivly without vision corrections (glasses or contacts). I can't see my rds without corrections just a big red blod

Feedback Score
    Voted for "sometimes." For my civie AR, I use an el cheapo Nebo 8 LED flashlight with built-in laser.
    DIRTMAN
    Youtube: DIRTMANPROJECT | Twitter: DIRTMAN556 | Flickr: DIRTMAN556

Clint Smith On Gun Safety: [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Y7LIJm5gI ]
    1. All firearms are ALWAYS loaded.
    2. Don't point the muzzle at anything you're not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're on the target and ready to shoot.
    4. Be sure of your target and backstop.

Feedback Score
    I'm a long time gun owner but AR newbie. I recently got the green light to purchase an AR from the minister of finance (wife). The clean look of the naked rail along with the excellent reputation of Daniel Defense made me decide on the DDM4v7. I wanted it for HD/EHTCD purposes so a light and laser seemed like a good idea, but I was not fond of some of the light installs I saw, mainly the zip-tied wires and velcro/stick tape switches.

I found the Crimson Trace MVF-515R and based on some good press gave it a shot. I have the laser sighted at about 30 yards and can hit dead on from the hip. The postition of the light and laser switches make it a very clean install and easy to use. Most of my shooting is done using the rail mounted DD fixed sights, but it's nice to have the laser for when I can't get a proper sight picture. I have both the light and laser configured for momentary on so they are only lit when I want them to be and since the controls are right there in the grip my hand is always in the right spot.

The CT wasn't cheap, I think around $375, but it's nice to have a simple, clean install. I would never use the laser as my primary sighting method, but I feel a bit safer knowing it's there should the need arise. YMMV

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTuesday View Post
    I'm a long time gun owner but AR newbie. I recently got the green light to purchase an AR from the minister of finance (wife). The clean look of the naked rail along with the excellent reputation of Daniel Defense made me decide on the DDM4v7. I wanted it for HD/EHTCD purposes so a light and laser seemed like a good idea, but I was not fond of some of the light installs I saw, mainly the zip-tied wires and velcro/stick tape switches.

I found the Crimson Trace MVF-515R and based on some good press gave it a shot. I have the laser sighted at about 30 yards and can hit dead on from the hip. The postition of the light and laser switches make it a very clean install and easy to use. Most of my shooting is done using the rail mounted DD fixed sights, but it's nice to have the laser for when I can't get a proper sight picture. I have both the light and laser configured for momentary on so they are only lit when I want them to be and since the controls are right there in the grip my hand is always in the right spot.

The CT wasn't cheap, I think around $375, but it's nice to have a simple, clean install. I would never use the laser as my primary sighting method, but I feel a bit safer knowing it's there should the need arise. YMMV
    Speaking of CT, has anyone tried the new CMR-201?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I have in the past but for my primary training rifle I use at the range, it's just MOE mid lengths with a light on it.

The whole laser whether it's IR or not and a ton of accessories on an RIS doesn't really make sense to me on my training rifle.

As other said, the application in the civilian world is very limited.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ive played around with a laser on a rifle, it just wasnt for me. My cats love it however. Now its a dedicated cat toy.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU View Post
    Where do you see a need? I am being genuinely curious here, not a smartass. I am really pretty ignorant to the benefits of having one.
    When using NVG's and then only IR.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post

As for rifles, I don't see many benefits of a laser unless maybe it's IR and used with an NVD, and even at that, I think a red dot sight is better.
    You would be wrong about a red dot used in conjunction with a NVD being better than running an IR laser. I would only use my T-1 on the NV setting if I had to take a passive shot, where activating the PEQ-2 would give my position away to an adversary with NV capabilities.
    Last edited by ClearedHot; 06-03-12 at 15:24.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123