Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of scope for 14.5" carbine?

Feedback Score

What kind of scope for 14.5" carbine?

The furthest out I'll shoot in the foreseeable future will be 200 yards due to range limitations. Gun is a KAC SR-15 MOD 2 which currently has a Micro H-2. I've been able to shoot 1-2 MOA at 100 yards, but I'm ready to throw some magnification into the mix.

The recommendation I've been given from a highly respected shooting buddy is the NF 2.5-10x32. The cheapest reticle I've seen short of a hunting reticle is the 600MV, which seems like plenty for my purposes. Initially I was looking at cheaper Trijicon offerings, but my buddy told me I'm not allowed to put Rota wheels on Fuzion tires

Most of shooting is benchrest, but I don't want to limit the versatility of the rifle with a massive scope. On the other hand, I already have an H-2 for fast stuff. I may hunt with it in the future, but I mostly want to tighten groups up. Please let me know if I need to further elaborate on intended use.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    A month ago I'd have said 2.5x10 is too much scope for inside 200 yards. That was prior running my 20" w/a 3x9 in a local match. I expected to be hindered on the 'Shoot and Scoot' stages but have an edge on the 200 yard work.

The 200 yard stuff was a breeze. I placed respectively in the CQB stages and won one of them. This surprised me as I shoot with some very competent machine like individuals that I'm usually chasing with my normal red dot gun.

I did notice that close in, tight shots (over shoulders/heads of No-Shoots) were less of "That looks about right" to knowing exactly how high (reticle wise) I was aiming. While I could only dial down to 3x, I held my own with the dots and the 1xwhatevers.

Extra weight doesn't bother me and I shoot both eyes open. So, if you can say the same I'd think you'd be well served with the 2.5x10.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    At under 12 ounces I find the Leupold VX-R Patrol perfect for my needs. I would happily spend more on a scope but want to keep the rifle as light as possible (7-1/2 lbs. as shown below minus the WML). If light weight is a priority for you, there's not much else out there in LPVs that offers decent quality without adding at least 50% more weight.

FWIW, I run Goodyear Eagle Sport tires on my Rotas. ;-)

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    At under 12 ounces I find the Leupold VX-R Patrol perfect for my needs. I would happily spend more on a scope but want to keep the rifle as light as possible (7-1/2 lbs. as shown below minus the WML). If light weight is a priority for you, there's not much else out there in LPVs that offers decent quality without adding at least 50% more weight.

FWIW, I run Goodyear Eagle Sport tires on my Rotas. ;-)

What I use as well for the same reasons.
    I was actually considering a vortex 2.5-10.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The 2.5-10 is a pretty good bet, or perhaps a 1-8 with illuminated reticle.

I guess personal preference will dictate your choice. The AR that I hunt with has worn a T2, then a Trijicon 3-9x40, and now has an ACOG TA31 on it.

Some folks like 'em, some folks can't stand 'em. I find that fixed 4x is enough to make accurate hits out to the distances I commonly shoot, and the FO Illuminated reticle works well for me.

I also appreciate its compact footprint and solid construction.

I have a NF on my .308, and it's a nice scope too. (The 4-12x56 I have is kinda big for a carbine) I like the MOAR reticle for target shooting, but the fine reticle might get lost in the woods at dusk.

Good luck, there's plenty of good choices out there.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    The new trijicon 1-8 is an excellent value and an excellent scope. I would highly recommend it since it can be found for $1200. The red mil/mil reticle is daylight bright, is very easy to pick up without the illumination, extremely clear glass, and an awesome eye-box. I run mine on a 12.5 V7 build I did and it seriously winning me over and making me contemplate selling my 1-6 razor for another one. A nice 1-6 (Razor, mk6, kahles, swarovski) or 1-4/5 (steiner, NF, USO) would also fit nicely into the roll you have in mind for this rifle. If you want a cheap awesome alternative, look into the aimpoint 3x-C magnifier.

Feedback Score
    I have a NF 1-4 on my 14.5 BCM, and smack steel at 200 with boring regularity. P8080022.JPG

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    The new trijicon 1-8 is an excellent value and an excellent scope. I would highly recommend it since it can be found for $1200.
    If I went this route then I'd probably try to sell my H-2 and LT660. Idk how the market is for that but if trying to sell ZT knives taught me anything, I'm gonna lose some money.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BallisticHarmony View Post
    The furthest out I'll shoot in the foreseeable future will be 200 yards due to range limitations. Gun is a KAC SR-15 MOD 2 which currently has a Micro H-2. I've been able to shoot 1-2 MOA at 100 yards, but I'm ready to throw some magnification into the mix.
    You have a pretty much optimal carbine setup shooting very decent carbine groups.

Personally, I'd not load it up with anything much heavier than your current optic.

I don't understand the desire to try to turn carbines into SPR type setups.

I'd be thinking 1-6 and small. Or just shoot the Reddot, at 200 it should not be that limiting. (Hostage head shots mentioned above aside)

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    IF max is 200 yds any number of 1-4, 1-6 LPVs will work well and compliment your 14.5".
    A 5.56 ranging reticle works for me to 300 with small/moderate steel targets (6-10").
    Beyond that distance the velocity loss from the shorter barrel causes the ranging "ticks" to be pretty far off.

I use a 1-6, Trijicon Accupoint (Mil reticle) and Steiner P4Xi on a couple 14" guns.
    I have no difficulty shooting 5/8 scale silhouette targets to 400 and tighter shots- head/6" at 200 are simple with 4X.
    Last edited by gaijin; 03-29-17 at 13:10.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast