Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snap On Tools! Worth The Price For A Torque Wrench For SCAR/MWS/MRP?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Snap On Tools! Worth The Price For A Torque Wrench For SCAR/MWS/MRP?

Was looking for some opinions on Snap On Tools. I have needed to upgrade to a quality torque wrench for my MRP's, MWS and now SCAR (how they ship a 3k rifle with no wrench amazes me but whatever) for a while so I had my mechanic grab one for me.

He grabbed me a Snap On (pictured below) that looks to be a well made tool and should serve my purpose just fine... I know nothing about tools and what is good vs bad (other than knowing the one they send from LMT is a cheapo) etc.

I grabbed it today and it is a $280 wrench. Now, I never buy cheap and have no problem paying for quality but $280 seems like a lot of cash for a wrench... He told me that Snap On is very good stuff, high quality and should last a lifetime.

Is this about right for a quality torque wrench? Are there better companies out there that would serve my purpose better? If this is market then I have no problem paying the price, but I honestly don't know enough about tools to know wether I am being ripped off, or its just a simple case of buy once... I do like the smaller size of it vs some of the others I have seen. He said its no problem to return or get something else if I want...

Just looking for some input from those who know about tools for this application.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That's probably a really nice wrench. I would spend the money to get it calibrated if it isn't already, because the SCAR doesn't have the overtorque protection the MWS has with the snapping bolts. You'll just strip the threads in your barrel extension.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietShootr View Post
    That's probably a really nice wrench. I would spend the money to get it calibrated if it isn't already, because the SCAR doesn't have the overtorque protection the MWS has with the snapping bolts. You'll just strip the threads in your barrel extension.
    Thanks Brother! That is all I needed to know... It came with a certificate of calibration that according to the certificate is calibrated to +/- 0.25% which I would assume is GTG?!?

It does appear to be a very well made tool, but I am out of my element so I thought I would ask for some help here.

Thank you for the quick response! I had no idea tools cost so much...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    d90,

My dad has been an aircraft mechanic professionally for over 30 years (and an auto mechanic non-professionally for over 50) and is a Craftsman guy thru and thru, but has always told me that he would have a rolling toolbox full of only Snap-On tools if he could afford them. Not sure you'd necessarily need a Snap-On-quality tool to work on a Scar or LMT, but rest assured that they make nice stuff.

Can't give you specifics as a first-hand user on exactly why they're quality, but that's the word from someone who knows tools.

tw

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by twadsw01 View Post
    d90,

My dad has been an aircraft mechanic professionally for over 30 years (and an auto mechanic non-professionally for over 50) and is a Craftsman guy thru and thru, but has always told me that he would have a rolling toolbox full of only Snap-On tools if he could afford them. Not sure you'd necessarily need a Snap-On-quality tool to work on a Scar or LMT, but rest assured that they make nice stuff.

Can't give you specifics as a first-hand user on exactly why they're quality, but that's the word from someone who knows tools.

tw
    Thank you for chiming in... I have never been one to skimp on anything, but even I was a little taken aback by the price tag.

I do like the fact that its made here and has a lifetime guarantee...

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Snapon tools are nice but awfully pricey. You may want to call LMT and see who they would recommend? That way you could price compare the different makers.

Feedback Score
    That is a great wrench.

One caveat though... it is calibrated now. It has to go to a lab every year to check that it is still in calibration... or if it is stored without zeroing it out. We used to send ours to PMEL for calibration check.

Feedback Score
    They are absolutely worth the price. Snap-on and Mac tools are some of the best in the business. I used to be a craftsman man but as of late you have to look at the tool to make sure it's got a USA stamp.
    You will never buy another torque wrench now since you have that one.

Feedback Score
    I've got a couple of snap on torque wrenches and that price sounds about right. They are expensive but when it comes to specialty tools like torque wrenches i think it worth spending the extra $ for quality. Plus you've got a lifetime warranty and any time you see a snap on truck you can get them to recalibrate it for free.

Feedback Score
    Alltrade makes 3/8 and 1/2 drive torques adapters that you can buy at Amazon. I use mine to run comparison tests with my torque wrenches
    to verify accuracy. I bought mine for $37, they are under $50 now. Learned about them form the auto editor at Popular Mechanics.

http://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-94075.../dp/B0031QPJZG

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast