Page 4 of 131 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: SIONICS Weapon Systems

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Crocs View Post
    A couple of questions on your barrel Xray procedure.
    1. Why MPI after X-raying? If I understand correctly, this is the same X-ray method mentioned in previous HPT vs. non-HPT threads where some members, including Grant IINM, stated that it was THE surest way to find any and all imperfections on the metal... If so, shouldn't the Xray by itself be enough?
    I am not a non-destructive engineer, nor do I play one on the Internet. When we talked to real NDEs about the process we were told that MPI after X-Ray - while not common - was not redundant.

2. Why not subject the bolts to the same Xray test as opposed to the traditional HPT/MPI?
    The barrels are finished and tested in house, so we can make the choice for testing procedures - bolts are purchased from a contract supplier and are provided already HP and MPI tested.
    I put the "Amateur" in Amateur Radio...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    X-Ray and MPI will detect different types of defects
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by K.L. Davis View Post
    I am not a non-destructive engineer, nor do I play one on the Internet. When we talked to real NDEs about the process we were told that MPI after X-Ray - while not common - was not redundant.

The barrels are finished and tested in house, so we can make the choice for testing procedures - bolts are purchased from a contract supplier and are provided already HP and MPI tested.
    Thanks for responding. Best of luck to you guys and I look forward to seeing more offerings from SIONICS.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Just wondering if there has been updates or range reports on the Sionics lately?
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't x-ray testing considered a destructive test, whereas MPI is a non-destructive test?

What effects do the the 2 x-ray test have on the barrel?
    Very non-destructive. It's the same as what you get at the doctor. No possible way to affect steel at all.
    Last edited by samuse; 09-20-12 at 10:30.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    A couple of questions on your barrel Xray procedure.
    1. Why MPI after X-raying? If I understand correctly, this is the same X-ray method mentioned in previous HPT vs. non-HPT threads where some members, including Grant IINM, stated that it was THE surest way to find any and all imperfections on the metal... If so, shouldn't the Xray by itself be enough?
    2. Why not subject the bolts to the same Xray test as opposed to the traditional HPT/MPI?
    MPI is actually better for IDing cracks on the surface than RT (radiographic testing(X-ray)).

RT is good for IDing differences in cross-sectional density. Basically any material other than the steel being looked at will show up as a different shade on the film. If you have an air void (porosity) it will show up as a dark dot, tungsten inclusions for example, will show up as white dots. Cracks are not reliably detected by RT unless the crack is aligned between the source and the film, you can't 'see' the side of a crack since it does not change the cross-sectional density.

An AR bolt would be difficult to RT because of the complex shape and small size (not to mention expensive), pretty much impossible to UT (ultrasonic) again due to the complex shape, so basically blasting it with a hot round and checking it for cracks is about the only cheap way to inspect it after it's made.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I really like that you went with the Samson EVO, I think it's the best of its kind. Great to see companies working with professional badasses like Iraq Gunz himself as well
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Looks like a well thought out ar. I'm glad someone took the time to sit down(or talk across an ocean)with a manufacturer so they they could get it right the first time.

IG:
    As a side note, I would like to know if I can purchase bcg's with the coatings you covered in the video.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fixit69 View Post
    Looks like a well thought out ar. I'm glad someone took the time to sit down(or talk across an ocean)with a manufacturer so they they could get it right the first time.

IG:
    As a side note, I would like to know if I can purchase bcg's with the coatings you covered in the video.
    I wondered the same thing. you can on their website for around $200 I haven't looked for a reseller yet.

Feedback Score
    19 (88%)
    It makes me happy to see new manufacturers of the Ar. The website is very well put together and it gives me a detailed description of all the essential parts in the rifle. I also like the logo, it kinda reminds me of the umbrella logo from resident evil. I will happily support Sionics Weapon Systems. Btw, nice write up IG.

Page 4 of 131 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast