• No

45 69.23%
  • Sometimes (please explain)

6 9.23%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you run a laser?

Feedback Score

Do you run a laser?

We all see in movies/TV cops or bad guys running lasers as a guy comes out of a building he is covered in little dots. My pops has one on his rifle and honestly, I don't see much point to them. If you have a good red dot sight then that would be easy enough for aiming. Also, after looking through a ton of guns on here, doesn't seem to be many people running them.

I guess the only benefit I can see is in close quarters situations because I would imagine the accuracy would only decrease with distance.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU View Post
    We all see in movies/TV cops or bad guys running lasers as a guy comes out of a building he is covered in little dots. My pops has one on his rifle and honestly, I don't see much point to them. If you have a good red dot sight then that would be easy enough for aiming. Also, after looking through a ton of guns on here, doesn't seem to be many people running them.

I guess the only benefit I can see is in close quarters situations because I would imagine the accuracy would only decrease with distance.
    No as they are slower (on a long gun) than a RDS is.

With that said, I have one, but it is of the IR flavor.

C4

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

And if it isn't an IR laser it is going to give away that you are there quite a bit as well. I've run a few rounds of force on force this week against a squad that was using a red laser. He made it pretty easy for me to know when NOT to come around the corner. Wait til the pretty red dot moves away from my spot then lay some hate. And if he turns it off he is in one of two situations:
    1. A tool he is used to relying on (laser dot on target) is gone and might cause problems.
    2. He is slower to turn it back on.

Feedback Score
    As a civilian I see no need.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly16 View Post
    And if it isn't an IR laser it is going to give away that you are there quite a bit as well. I've run a few rounds of force on force this week against a squad that was using a red laser. He made it pretty easy for me to know when NOT to come around the corner. Wait til the pretty red dot moves away from my spot then lay some hate. And if he turns it off he is in one of two situations:
    1. A tool he is used to relying on (laser dot on target) is gone and might cause problems.
    2. He is slower to turn it back on.
    That is a very interesting point and makes a lot of sense. Never thought about it that way. I don't think I would exactly come around the corner in a life and death situation if I saw a laser dot in the doorway.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorDG View Post
    As a civilian I see no need.
    Where do you see a need? I am being genuinely curious here, not a smartass. I am really pretty ignorant to the benefits of having one.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That is a very interesting point and makes a lot of sense. Never thought about it that way. I don't think I would exactly come around the corner in a life and death situation if I saw a laser dot in the doorway.
    If someone is between me and my son's room in the house I will get to him. But then I'm the type that would keep nvgs and an ir laser by the bed.

Having run against guys using ir lasers and nvgs when we didn't have them it is an incredible advantage in low light.

Feedback Score
    Where do you see a need? I am being genuinely curious here, not a smartass. I am really pretty ignorant to the benefits of having one.
    I only see a need if you have IR gear and are running an IR laser. Unless the government is paying for it I don't see it being worth it. A civilian would never have a need for a visible laser if they had a red dot. And an IR laser almost never be needed enough to justify the cost in my mind and budget.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Feedback Score
    Ahhh, didn't think about a dot w/NV. I take it the dot can't be seen by people without NV. That could definitely be an advantage, heck the NV alone would be a pretty big advantage

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    How about pistols? Crimson Trace anyone? I have a Viridian which I really like, but have yet to shoot it mounted so idk if it holds its zero (biggest problem with lasers I think - function wise). Until then I won't run it.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast