Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fighting Carbine, AK Edition

Feedback Score
    What flash suppressor do you recommend for rifles with 24mm threads?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by montrala View Post

Point is that good, reliable 5.56 AK can be done. It just need good design and quality of manufacture. And is more expensive than 7.62/5.45 variants.
    I'd jump at the chance to buy a Polish 5.56 AK - using the same import/rebuild model that has made Arsenal a boat load of money. Again, the Polish 5.56s have been tested and tweaked to achieve the same standard in reliability as the originals in 7.62/5.45.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    What would be a fair price for a Beryl? $1300 for a fixed stock and $1500 for a folder seem high to me. For that kind of money, you could get a SLR-106 and an Aimpoint.

http://www.royaltigerimports.com/com...category_id=24

Dave M, thank you for sharing this info. Your effort is greatly appreciated.
    "Restricting the rights of free and law-abiding Americans is not a solution to anything, and only makes government and its force more powerful."
    -Gary Johnson

Owner of Wildwood Custom Woodworking, F-Class Rifle Stock Builder

Feedback Score
    My only concern with the Polish rifles is the Polish magazines. The rear locking tabs aren't metal- just plastic.

Wasn't it the rear tabs that failed on the all-plastics mags that Arsenal tested alongside their waffle mags in their drop test videos?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62WildBill View Post
    What would be a fair price for a Beryl? $1300 for a fixed stock and $1500 for a folder seem high to me. For that kind of money, you could get a SLR-106 and an Aimpoint.

http://www.royaltigerimports.com/com...category_id=24
    Calling SteyrAug . . .

Holy hell! Polish Beryls are coming across the pond?!?!?

The price is due to the "collectability" of these rifles as they have NEVER been available and who knows how many will be allowed in before the next BATFE "ruling" and or ban.

Not for me, but the collectors/connoisseurs will gobble them up and sit on them.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickStrike View Post
    What flash suppressor do you recommend for rifles with 24mm threads?
    Manticore and the long bulgy copies are the only options I've seen. I've had decent results with the Manticore.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries144 View Post
    My only concern with the Polish rifles is the Polish magazines. The rear locking tabs aren't metal- just plastic.

Wasn't it the rear tabs that failed on the all-plastics mags that Arsenal tested alongside their waffle mags in their drop test videos?
    I never seen any info about problems with rear tabs in Beryl magazines. Neither in country or from deployments. Maybe our soldiers drop their rifles in different way, or our mags are superior

ETA: I took some pictures of Beryl magazines and closeups on important parts. I can post them here or make a new thread, if there is any interest in this.

BTW Archers sold by I.O. are in fact civilian version of Beryl (all important internals, and externals, including cold hammer forged barrel are made in Poland) but I.O. made unfortunate move of adding Tantal style brake, that covers end of 18" Beryl barrel and throw in BHO cut not present in Beryl. We work on this end to make a pressure on FB Radom, to correct I.O. mistakes.

ETA: Took picture of my Mini Beryl in 'fighting carbine AK' configuration (on the other side I have stock charging handle and unmodified Beryl extended safety).

Last edited by montrala; 06-10-12 at 17:29.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    You Poles just drop your rifles wrong.

I've never seen Polish mags tested, but in videos where the rifle was dropped onto the magazine, all magazines that lacked metal locking tabs failed. Maybe the Polish mags are different or it just doesn't happen often enough to be an issue?

Montrala, I'd be curious to know your opinion of the TWS Gen 2 topcover replacement as compared to the Polish scope mount rail I see mounted on your rifle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SPQR476 View Post
    Manticore and the long bulgy copies are the only options I've seen. I've had decent results with the Manticore.
    Thanks, I'll look into getting one of those.

I might have to send my arsenal AK to a smith. I can't get the muzzle brake to bulge!

Feedback Score
    You Poles just drop your rifles wrong.

I've never seen Polish mags tested, but in videos where the rifle was dropped onto the magazine, all magazines that lacked metal locking tabs failed. Maybe the Polish mags are different or it just doesn't happen often enough to be an issue?
    Yes, we always do not know how to behave. When we supported US with decision to go into A-stan and Iraq, French and Germans governments commented that "Poland lost great opportunity to keep silence"

I checked on my mags. When rife is dropped, magazine catch extends force on thickest part of locking lug. Also force is not directed to "cut" lug out of magazine body (strongly reinforced in this area), but rather at some 30dgr into back of magazine body. I will ask at FB Radom if they made some tests against that on my next visit there.

Old (white) magazine on the left, new (bluish) on the right.

BTW White translucent and black solid magazines gave steel reinforcement in top front part of the mag. New, blue translucent mags does not, however plastic on blue mag feel more crack resistant. I've seen guy at FB Radom hammering with some decent sized hammer on blue magazine body from the side and hammer just kept bouncing back.

Montrala, I'd be curious to know your opinion of the TWS Gen 2 topcover replacement as compared to the Polish scope mount rail I see mounted on your rifle.
    About TWS I love front mounting and cover integrated with rail and rail seem to sit lower. In Polish POPC I like rear mounting and ability to remove it with scope installed if scope is protruding much past front of the rail.

I do not know how good TWS rear mounting solution holds zero, but it has advantage of "general AK" compatibility. POPC needs Beryl rear trunion.

I actually plan to convert POPC into mix of POPC and TWS. I will see how it will turn out.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast