Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 6-1/2 Primers

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BravoGolf59 View Post
    PLEASE VERIFY THIS ON YOUR OWN, but I saw on a different forum where some folks use these for loading up .38 Special cartridges.

I bought a couple hundred when the last shortage was going on and did not read the (very) fine print til later. Then, I had 200 primers I could not do anything with.
    The only time I've seen guys using rifle primers for pistol cartridges is for things like 9mm major loads for IPSC open guns where the pressures are way beyond SAAMI standards. Some fellows just like to fool around with stuff, I suppose like using Rem 6.5's in a low pressure 38sp.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BravoGolf59 View Post
    PLEASE VERIFY THIS ON YOUR OWN, but I saw on a different forum where some folks use these for loading up .38 Special cartridges.

I bought a couple hundred when the last shortage was going on and did not read the (very) fine print til later. Then, I had 200 primers I could not do anything with.
    I would have no problem using them as small pistol primers, especially in something with a larger case capacity like 38/357. Just back off on your load a little bit and see how it works.

I really hate that they sell the ****ing things - there is no reason to have a small rifle primer that is unsafe in the most common cartridges that use small rifle primers. Who the **** shoots .22 Hornet in quantity anyway?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunrgood;1319236[B
    ]My buddy gave me 4K worth of Remington 6 1/2 primers.[/B] I want to load them for my .223/5.56 16" AR but I have found no loading data for them.

What's the deal?

Are they safe to load then fire through the AR?
    Missed this the first time around... around here we call that a Blue Falcon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    I couldn't really find much on the difference. If I had to guess....better QC. Yes, they are good for .223/5.56.
    I googled'em after I posted, and pretty much came up with the same thing, supposed to have a little thicker cup, several places rate it the same as a magnum primer..
    Last edited by ralph; 06-02-12 at 21:02.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12