Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The bed side weapon, and hearing protection..

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BCmJUnKie View Post
    Im just gonna go ahead and rely on my friend, "Auditory Exclusion" instead of the muss and fuss of trying to put my "Ears" on.... while my family is getting raped
    I don't know dude, I wouldn't rely on something like that, as contested as it is.

Of course, the hearing thing...no. I would be more concerned about having a good pair of house shoes that I can scrap in by the bed, that would be a million times more relevant than my hearing.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCmJUnKie View Post
    Not debating anything

I always thought that was interesting, I didnt know a low sound like that could mess with your hearing.
    It was probably louder than he remembers. Sensorineural hearing loss rarely, if ever, would occur at noise levels lower than about 85db (about the noise of a lawn mower), and even then, less than 8 hours per day would protect about 90% of the population.

Auditory exclusion might keep you from being disoriented by loud noise in a stressful SD situation, but it won't protect from hair cell damage that might contribute to some hearing loss later in life, nor would it protect against temporary threshold changes that might manifest as transient tinnitus or transient hearing loss.
    Last edited by Hmac; 06-04-12 at 08:07.

Feedback Score
    if you are that worried about it, get a baseball bat
    Red Rider BB gun - Lever Action
    Daisy Model 10 BB gun
    Crosman CO2 BB Pistol
    Daisy F16 Slingshot
    McDonalds Straw and spitballs

Can you believe people actually list thier guns as a signature?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by p22shooter30 View Post
    if you are that worried about it, get a baseball bat
    Naw, just rack the slide of a shotgun... That's scares away the baddies :-)

Feedback Score
    that would make me drop the tv and run. if they wanted to track me just follow the brown streak
    Red Rider BB gun - Lever Action
    Daisy Model 10 BB gun
    Crosman CO2 BB Pistol
    Daisy F16 Slingshot
    McDonalds Straw and spitballs

Can you believe people actually list thier guns as a signature?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My fiancees sinuses require me to wear hearing protection to get a good night sleep. Luckily she is a light sleeper and will hear someone breaking in and wake me already hearing protected.

P.S. After trying many brands Howard Leight Sleepers are my preferred plug.
    Last edited by QuackXP; 06-04-12 at 17:19.

Feedback Score
    Auditory Exclusion alters your mental perception of sound in high stress situations.

It does absolutely nothing to prevent physical damage from pressure waves to the inner parts of the ear.

Fight or Flight does not trump Physics.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Anyone who thinks that they are going to be fortunate enough to wake from a sound slumber to hear the first quiet sounds of a burglar, a burglar ballsy enough to enter an occupied dwelling in the first place, and is going to have the wherewithal to put on hearing protection, maybe don a vest, grab a light or a cell phone, and retrieve their weapon to go and investigate is living in a fantasy world.
    Last edited by kmrtnsn; 06-06-12 at 08:09.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you're picking up a firearm to defend yourself, it is a life-or-death situation.

The relative merit of trying to protect yourself against a possible extremely short duration noise is so extremely small, it doesn't even really warrant discussion.

Yes, some damage is probably done...but far less than if you'd not used the firearm at all and found yourself dead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedfs View Post
    Auditory Exclusion alters your mental perception of sound in high stress situations.

It does absolutely nothing to prevent physical damage from pressure waves to the inner parts of the ear.

Fight or Flight does not trump Physics.
    Interesting point. But, given the "physics trumps physiology/psychology" argument, what explains the reports of shooters exhibiting no hearing loss after discharging their weapon in an enclosed area (say a building or vehicle) while those exposed to the same sound levels in the same area showed significant hearing loss after the event?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast