Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help to accurize my old 700 30-06

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Help to accurize my old 700 30-06

I recently aquired my first new bolt gun...it is a Remington 700 30-06 from 1984.
    It is old school with a wood stock and a Leupold VX-II 3x9x40.

In an effort to have the most accurate gun I can, please suggest any changes. I assume there is probably some possible changes with the trigger, maybe something internal from a gunsmith. Otherwise, all I can come up with would be an expensive stock change, but I am not sure how much that will change as compared to the solid wood stock that is already on it.

Thank for any help to the new guy.

Feedback Score
    If you're not set on keeping the wood stock, I would think all the usual modifications out there can be done.

1. Stock change. Either do a chassis system like XLR Evolution, Roedale precision, or AICS products; or a more traditional stock like Manners, McMillan, or B&C. Do a proper bedding job and your'e set.

2. Barrel swap. Keep the 30-06, or rechamber to some other long action. You don't know what kind of life the barrel you've already got has had, so it may not be a bad idea to do this first. Any of the big names will serve you well. Might as well get the action trued up when you do this, lots of reputable gunsmiths out there can do that for you.

3. Trigger.

4. Optics (if you don't already have a good one).

5. Ammo for practice.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Thanks for the info. I would actually prefer to keep the original wood stock and barrel (I did not even think about a new barrel). The gun was made in 1984 but it honestly looks like it came out of the box last week...not a mark on it. Can a wood stock be bedded?
    So I guess that leaves me with having a gunsmith:
    -true the action
    -work on the trigger

The optic appears to be a little older (but I have no idea), but otherwise is is clear.
    And I now realize the best thing I can do is buy ammo and shoot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    If you're not set on keeping the wood stock, I would think all the usual modifications out there can be done.

1. Stock change. Either do a chassis system like XLR Evolution, Roedale precision, or AICS products; or a more traditional stock like Manners, McMillan, or B&C. Do a proper bedding job and your'e set.

2. Barrel swap. Keep the 30-06, or rechamber to some other long action. You don't know what kind of life the barrel you've already got has had, so it may not be a bad idea to do this first. Any of the big names will serve you well. Might as well get the action trued up when you do this, lots of reputable gunsmiths out there can do that for you.

3. Trigger.

4. Optics (if you don't already have a good one).

5. Ammo for practice.

Feedback Score
    Before you do anything to it, go shoot it, otherwise you have no real basis to judge any work done to the rifle.

Do you reload? If not its gonna be hard to find match ammo in 30-06. What kind of accuracy are you looking to achieve? Usually just a decent bedding job and trigger work will get a normal hunting rifle to shoot well enough with the right load.

Wood stocks are fine, just heavy. Old rem700 triggers can be tuned into a pretty good trigger.

Feedback Score
    Wood stocks can be bedded, but that doesn't fix the other limitations of wood- mainly moisture.

Wood swells and contracts as it picks up and releases water. Not great for accuracy. It's manageable, but not a simple as other more modern options.

Definitely shoot the piss out of it before you get any significant work done. That wil tell you what you need to prioritize. I, personally, would not get the action trued unless I was getting a new barrel installed. There are others here who can get more detailed about why.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Get the stock pillar bedded, that is the best option for a wood stock. Then have the barrel free floated so that the stock moving due to weather changes doesn't affect accuracy. If the length of pull on the stock is too long or too short have it changed to fit you.

Then have the trigger adjusted for a safe pull weight of about 3 - 3.5 pounds.

Buy ammo and practice shooting.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    As said, get the stock Pillar bedded, and get a trigger job. Those triggers are easy to tweak down to 3lbs. And then you will have a fine hunting rifle.

I would shoot it first too, (as said above ) to make sure you are close. Do you own any guns that you can shoot sub-moa?
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    That gun has the good old style pre1986 trigger so all you need is to replace the spring and adjust it.
    Randall Rausch
    AR15 Barrel Guru

Feedback Score
    Have the stock freefloated and pillar bedded. Have the trigger tuned. I would not have it blueprinted until you rebarrel. At that point You have a lot of options. But thats going to be some coin. That old scope is probably good to go for most us. Marines used these rifles with a lot worse scope to good use out to 1000 yards.
    What is the goal? That will help on the long term build.
    Sorry, I come from the world of long range. Forgive my ignorance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This may not be the most popular answer but in my experience ammo will make a huge difference. If you know someone who reloads buy the bullets/brass/powder and bribe them to make a couple of loads with various powder weights.
    If that isn't an option have an off the shelf training round and a "go to" round.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast