Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Long Action Caliber Decision

Feedback Score

Long Action Caliber Decision

So, I've been mulling a future build in a long action caliber just because. Main use is going to be shooting steel out to 1000, and maybe a bit further (but not by much). It may be brought out on a big game hunt, if necessary due to limitations on the .308s I usually shoot, but will most likely be used only at the range.

I've got most of the details worked out with a Surgeon/Lawton/Defiance action mated to a Shilen barrel in an XLR chassis. But the problem I'm running into is the caliber.

The two choices are 30-06 or 6.5x55 Swede. I know there are a lot of other options with 300 WM or 7mm, but for reasons of economy (cheap Lapua brass, longer barrel life, and availability) I am keeping it to these two unless someone can really show me a vast improvement.

Do ya'll think there is an appreciable difference between these two calibers, or is it going to be more of a toss up?
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    You're really narrowing the field with your two options of cartridge. At that point, it doesn't much matter. If cost is your primary concern, then 30-06 is the most prevalent and therefor the cheapest.

Stay clear of the lawton action if you know what's good for you. When barney died, that company died with him. They just don't know it yet. I'd spend the next page telling you about the fiasco that is lawton machine, but there would be little point.

Go with surgeon. You'll thank me later.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score

Long Action

I've got a long action I'm trying to decide what to do with also. I'm not real hot on the idea of a 300WM due to barrel life and the fact that the various 6.5's have comparable wind drift. A 30-06 or even a 280 or 284 sound interesting. The 06 and 280 would probably be easier to get to feed properly.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Orkan,

The Surgeons are certainly nice. Do they really have anything over other custom actions such as the Stiller or Nasheka Bay etc etc. ?.

I'd like a Surgeon but have had great success with the two mentioned. Is there a REAL difference ?

DW

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
    I'd like a Surgeon but have had great success with the two mentioned. Is there a REAL difference ?
    Damn right there is a difference. Surgeon actions were designed from the ground up to be tough and reliable. Military grade "tactical" actions, so to speak, that will work every time.

Stiller and all the rest have their tolerances too tight, and have varying degree's of heavy bolt lift. They built benchrest actions above all... then jumped on the tactical bandwagon when they saw there was money to be made.

It's tough to describe the "feel" of a surgeon. It just feels more solid than other rifles. The way it functions is smoother, and the way it "vibrates" during the shot is unlike any of the others. Keep in mind I'm not talking about the RSR... only their actions with integral recoil lug and integral pic rail. The RSR has great bolt lift, but otherwise feels just like any other rem700 clone.

It's just something that has to be experienced to fully understand. Doesn't mean other actions can't make good platforms. ... but good, isn't the best. Surgeon, is the best as far as I'm concerned.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for sharing your view regarding the Surgeon actions. I don't think Ive actually shot one so don't have an oppinion.

Ive found the Stiller tactical to be a great action and the N/B to be very tight actions for exactly what you pointed out, target guns. My Stiller tac 338 works really really well for the application chosen.

Done building M4's think Ill look into a Surgeon for another build. Thanks again

DW

Feedback Score
    Anytime.
    Greg Dykstra
    Primal Rights, Inc.

Feedback Score
    The surgeon is a true work of art, you would not be disappointed to make a build off of one of them. My GAP with the templar (defiance action) is very nice but not up to what the surgeon feels like.
    Last edited by rundm; 05-08-12 at 22:58.

Feedback Score
    Thank you all for the inputs.

This project is probably more than a year away, after I feel very competent with my bolt .308 and purchase reloading equipment so I can tailor the loads.

Taking your advice, the build should end up looking something liket this:

Surgeon 1086
    Shilen (or whoever) barrel chambered in 30-06
    XLR Chassis
    Bushnell 3.5-21x50 G2DMR
    AICS magazines

The scope is negotiable, but I've read a lot of great things about it. Most likely I would keep it for use on other rifles and maintain a choice of optics for a variety of uses. The next step up would be a Nightforce F1, but that's almost $3k.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    surgeon actions are nice, but the templar is just as nice. the choice between them imho comes down to what features you want, and availability.

if you want integral lug and integral rail, go with the surgeon
    if you don't want integral lug or integral rail (i personally don't) but you do want a left hand, or left-bolt right-port action, go with the templar... and if you want to run 10 rnd AI AW double stack, double feed mags definitely go templar

also, the templar action is 416 and the bolt 4320 CM, where the surgeon bolt and action are 4140 CM.

as for availability, you can only get the templar from GAP in a build and they are typically quoting a 10-12 mo wait. You can buy stripped surgeon actions from several retailers and then have any yahoo build it for you.

XLR chassis is pretty cool. I have one sitting here that I won off a prize table. Been thinking about a build myself.

The Bushnell HDMR with the G2 reticle is pretty sweet. it's no S&B PMII but for the money it's awesome.

re: caliber, you don't need lapua brass to hit steel at long range or extreme long range. i bought 1000 pc of blemished 243win hornady brass primed for $27/100 from midway last year and turned it into 260AI. and it's been great. got at least 6 firings on it and no probs at all. I also tried several hundred pc of lapua, win and rem brass. i will say i chrono'd two 5-shot groups and got extreme spreads of FOUR FPS with a 1 SD with the lapua brass, which none of the others came close to matching. but the accuracy wasn't any better and it was a lot of work neck turning etc. all things considered, time/money spent dry firing and practicing field positions is way more productive than time/money spent on lapua brass/case prep

and switching to a cheater caliber like 6 CM with hornady brass or 260rem with rem brass will get you WAY more hits on steel than 30-06 with lapua brass. besides, that switch will let you go to a short action as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast