Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Original Aimpoint

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Original Aimpoint

Feedback Score
    29 (97%)
    Thats crazy, its amazing the transformation they have gone through, I run a T1 and am very happy with it. Thanks for posting
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Semper Paratus AR-15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    This is not the original Aimpoint. The original came out in 1975, this is the G2 model.

http://www.aimpoint.com/products/dis...ct/Electronic/
    "Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave." - Andrew Fletcher, 1698

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

"Among Other Evils Which Being Unarmed Brings You, It Causes You To Be Despised." - The Prince, Nicolo Machiavelli

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Thanks for the correction.

All of this stuff is waaay before my time anyway.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rojocorsa View Post
    Thanks for the correction.

All of this stuff is waaay before my time anyway.
    All these old farts have me beat as well, I'm only 21. I just happened to be looking at the older models a couple weeks ago so it was still fresh in my memory.
    "Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave." - Andrew Fletcher, 1698

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

"Among Other Evils Which Being Unarmed Brings You, It Causes You To Be Despised." - The Prince, Nicolo Machiavelli

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Dub_503 View Post
    This is not the original Aimpoint. The original came out in 1975, this is the G2 model.
    I had no idea Aimpoint RDS have been around since 1975. Learned something new, thanks.

Feedback Score
    It's definitely an interesting topic to research, I was quiet surprised with my findings. The first patent filed for a "reflex" sight was right around 1900 by Howard Grubb. By 1918 the Germans had them mounted on their fighter planes. Here is the wiki page if your interested in reading more about it.
    Last edited by J_Dub_503; 06-06-12 at 20:27.

Feedback Score
    I have several old aimpoints. My newest one is a Comp M, haha.

Feedback Score
    When I was in a particular US Army spec ops unit I was first issued an Aimpoint 2000- overall a very rugged red dot sight with a 1 inch tube- you had to be careful to make sure the plastic adjustment caps were in place or it would allow moisture in and eventually fog the optic

The Aimpoint 3000 came along and it was a dog; worst one I ever remember - the dot intensity adjustment knob would break off very easy

The 5000 made the jump to a bigger tube and bigger field of view- it was still long compared to what followed- the Comp series was first brought out for competition shooting ( I got my first one from Rob Leatham) and looked to be nothing more than a shortened 5000

Not too long after the US Army adopted the Aimpoint as the M68 close combat optic- the real problem with it was in order to get a longer battery life it was too dim on its brightest setting in certain conditions- this was one of the things that led my unit to start looking at Eotech

About the time Eotechs were bought, and the first zero shift issues with those came out, I found out that Aimpoint had upgraded the M68 to a much brighter red dot so the main complaint had been answered- unfortunately, for whatever reason, this new version carried the same M68 designation as the old one ( instead of something like M68A1)- so unless you knew the serial number range where the new ones started you didn't know what you were getting when issued an M68- believe it or not this one seemingly little oversight could have dramatically changed the red dot market as we know it today- an M68A1 could have made a huge impact right when the Eotech QC issues were coming to a head

Of course the Aimpoints being made today are the best ever in the history of the company- the Comp M4 series and my beloved Micro are the finest red dot optics the world has ever known

Like I said in the Aimpoint commercial ( a line I came up with) ; In the world of red dot sights there's Aimpoint and then there's everything else

Be safe

LAV

Feedback Score
    My dad recently gave me his old Mini-14 with a Mark III Aimpoint on it. Highspeed for 1983.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast