Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.8SPC or 6.5Grendel

Feedback Score
    but what about a cqb situation, which one would you chose.
    "Respect all, fear none"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by k9dpd View Post
    but what about a cqb situation, which one would you chose.
    flip a coin. either from a performance standpoint will work and you probably couldn't tell a nickel's worth of difference between them.

at that point, for a cop on the job or a regular doorkicker (which i'm not), i'd go with the unit that was best supported. whether that was a combination of service, ammo, reliability, or however you define it, that would be my next obvious question.

not having used either cal in that manner for work, i can't honestly answer it. from what i hear and understand, it shouldn't be an issue for either chambering. in the beginning yes, but not currently.

hope this helps.

-ST13

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    jmart,

I referenced the testing, as it is public domain info that clearly demonstrates that the 6.8 is more than capable of making accurate shots at ranges that are at the limit for most typical assault rifle or DMR uses. It was also interesting that ALL the 6.8 mm uppers in the test were reasonably accurate. Personally, if it is beyond 500 or 600, I'd be reaching for a .338 Lap Mag or even better calling in other assets in a military situation.
    Agreed, I wasn't suggesting that the 6.8 wasn't accurate, just that the Grendel might be a tad easier to hit with at longer ranges since it shoots flatter. If the user is familiar with the trajectory and has good optics, then he can make hits and drop isn't as big of an issue (but you still have to contend with drift).

And I agree about picking something more capable when trying to reach out to 600 yards consistently.

Both the 6.8 and 6.5 are good cartridges, but use them in the context in which they were conceived.

Feedback Score
    Regarding ballistic performance of 6.5 Grendel, using the JBM Small Arms Ballistic Calculator I've created charts for 16" barrels:

Regarding CQB performance, the following photo is a 6.5 Grendel 14.5" barrel at 50 yards shooting the 123 Sierra MatchKing, the same projectile Black Hills Ammunition loads in their 6.5 Grendel ammo and the same projectile that gives 7.62 M118LR a run for its money at long-range.

While it's 2.5" neck before yaw and fragmentation is not the ideal 0" that some espouse, it's still gonna hurt to have 123 grains of lead coming unglued in your insides.

I generally assume most guys on this forum are more interested in tactical applications than hunting, but, just in case (and to cover all the bases), yes, the 6.5 Grendel upholds the long tradition of the 6.5mms as efficient hunting cartridges.

I am confident the 6.5 Grendel can handle any task that you would ask from the AR platform.

Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. Alexander Arms loads the 130 Swift Scirocco, if one is looking for the penetration of a bonded bullet, but for certain specialized applications it wouldn't hurt to take advantage of the 6.5's high sectional density and put a tungsten penetrator in it.

Wolf's 6.5 Grendel is about 50 cents a pop; yet we're looking for even better operating costs with the Wolf 6.5 Grendel steel-cased we've been told to expect.

Current ammo manufacturers are limited to Alexander Arms, Black Hills, and Wolf. We're hoping SHOT Show 2008 will bring more news.

John
    "The matter is summed up for every person alive: Either submit, or live under the suzerainty of Islam, or die." — Osama bin Laden

Feedback Score
    This is a very interesting tread as I'd like to build either a 6.8 or 6.5 for deer hunting. I like the ballistics of the 6.5, but the 6.8 seems a little more developed and looks like you can get the uppers cheaper. Decisions, decisions.

Does the optimum barrel length differ between the two? I'm looking at 16-18 inch barrel length.

Feedback Score
    I was also considering this. The only reason I would pick the 6.8 is because availability and cost.

Feedback Score
    For hunting big game I use a 19.5 in AA upper. It holds a 4" 10 shot group at 300 yards with Barns TSX 120gr. The 24" was to long and the velocity gain did not justify the additional weight so I sold it.

I have a AA 16" M4 also. It loves the Nosler Ballistic Tips of 100 or 120gr. Wolfs are tough and putting them down in their tracks with one shot at 300 plus it tough. This gun does it just fine.

I vote Grendel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12