I tried searching, but couldn't find the help I was looking for.

I just got a Dillon 550 and am starting to load .223, I am new to reloading. Right now I am trying to load plinking/training ammo for a DD 16" using Hornady 55 gr FMJBT, 844 powder, and CCI #41 primers. I am having a hell of a time trying to get the bullets to seat straight. I don't have a concentricity guage, but I don't need one. Some are so bad I can see they are crooked just looking at them, others I find them crooked when I roll them on a flat surface.

I am probably around 50% (or maybe worse) "reject" rate. I tried searching but couldn't find much help other than to make sure the bullets are straight before seating them. Short of spending a couple minutes per round to delicately adjust the bullet as it sits on the case, what else could be going on? When I set the bullet on the case for the seating die, I am looking to make sure it appears straight.

Also, I am noticing that the bullets have a light ring pressed into the jacketing after seating. Is this normal? I was seating at 2.245 OAL. The brass is short to begin with, that OAL didn't even get the bullet to the cannelure. I then shortened the OAL to 2.240 in hopes that would straighten the bullets. But it didn't, and that length get the case mouth just barely to the beginning of the cannelure.

Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to work up some test loads to try out on Monday.