Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bullet Seating (not straight)

Feedback Score
    Because the brass is considerable harder than the Cooper jacket it will shave the bullet in some instances. This is not a concern the allowable can't in the stem to bullet relationship would be by guess to what's causing your problem. You may be able to set the seating die all the way down and the stem as high in the body as possible to your desired length to mitigate as much can't as possible. In my ecotone if that doesn't work try it the reverse. Die high stem low so you can guide the bullet as long as possible.
    "I know enough about a lot but enough to get me in trouble none the less." Me

Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post

Believe me, I know about not doing the "popular thing." Be a gear and gun dealer, go onto a tactical gun forum and tell folks to STOP buying crap they don't need.

C4

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Try this first before buying the Redding Competition seater...

With your shell plate completely loaded ram up with the appropriate dummy rounds at each station, loosen and allow your dies to center within the thread of the tool head then tighten.

Remember anytime you adjust any of your dies you should have all the stations loaded to get the best alignment and consistency in seating depth.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonFX4 View Post
    No, I am using the standard Dillon 3 die set.
    That is a great die set I have it on my 550 press and there is something out of adjustment. Do what Boxerglocker recommended.
    Last edited by SteveS; 06-10-12 at 20:26.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonFX4 View Post
    I don't have a concentricity guage, but visual inspection does not reveal any damage to the brass after resizing or in the seating die without a bullet in place. I have set the seating die as per Dillon instructions and also tried with it lower than recommended. Even when I set the seating die all the way down to make contact with the shell plate, it doesn't put any pressure on the case.

I am not using an expander die, and I am not trimming or chamfering/deburring. The brass is once fired Speer. I clean, lube, decap/resize, clean again, clean primer pocket, swage primer pocket (crimped primers), then load. The brass is typically measuring 1.748, which is shorter than the trim-to length and why I am not trimming. I have noticed on a few rounds what appears to be a very small amount of copper jacket shaved off and sitting at the mouth of the case. Also, when I removed the seating stem and placed the bullets in the stem to check the fit, there seems to be a noticable amount of cant that is allowable. Are these potential culprits as well?

Can anyone verify straight loads with .223 Dillon seating dies and 55 gr Hornady FMJBT?
    They've worked well for me in the past.

Try using your sizing die again. The jacket shavings are indicative of your case mouth not being open enough. The carbide button should open the mouth of your case enough to make seating a bullet easier. This should remove the off-center loading, the jacket shavings, and the ring on the bullet...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger_sxt View Post
    They've worked well for me in the past.

Try using your sizing die again. The jacket shavings are indicative of your case mouth not being open enough. The carbide button should open the mouth of your case enough to make seating a bullet easier. This should remove the off-center loading, the jacket shavings, and the ring on the bullet...
    I think I have solved the problem. This post reminded me that I had resized my brass a second time, without the decapping pin and expander ball in place. After I initially decapped/resized a batch of brass, I realized I was a little out of spec and the case head was sticking out of the case guage slightly. So I made the necessary adjustment and resized the brass, without the expander ball stem in place. So I resized the brass for a third time, this time with the decapping pin and expander ball in place. Now the bullet runout is much improved. I have loaded 25 rounds, and I found 2 of them with a slight cant while rolling them on a flat surface. This is much better than the ~50% problem rate I was having before. I don't know what kind of perfection I should seek in this department, but I have definitely made a significant improvement.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123