Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR 15 in .22 LR?

Feedback Score

AR 15 in .22 LR?

Anybody has any experience with any of the above rifles? What is a nice .22 LR in AR type format?

I am leaning on getting an HK 416 .22 LR.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No experience with the HK one, but the S&W 15-22 is pretty popular and is functionally the same as a regular AR. I've got one with thousands of rounds through it, been very happy - not a bad price point either. More info on them here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=49628
    Dan

Feedback Score
    I agree, of all the .22 lr AR type rifles, I think this one most closely operates the same as a standard AR. You won't be disappointed. I have one, same as the feller above, thousands of rounds through it, and i love every little pop it makes.

It's already been given to my 2 yr old daughter as her first...obviously she cant shoot it for years to come. But i thought i would enjoy it in the mean time and get it set up nice so when she's ready to shoot, it'll be nice.

I might even get a decent .22 can, so when she's learning to shoot we can talk, and stay extra safe...Should make momma happier too knowing her babies ears are safe.

Feedback Score
    Agree with the others - the M&P 15-22 is a great AR clone. Mine is set up very similar to my primary HD rifle. Thousands of rounds through the pipe without one single hiccup. As a training tool or even just for a fun plinker, the 15-22 gets the nod.

Now sporting the new BAD-ASS 15-22 selector like its big brother.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The rifle you are thinking about is made by Umarex (spelling?) A german airsoft maker that has been making "real" firearms for a while now. The Walther P22 is made by them along with a host of other clones like the Mp5, Colt M16. They are not horrible and the people that own them seem to speak well of them. I personally have a SW M&P15-22. I have also had a SIG 522. Many thousands of rounds fired through my SW and I am very very happy. I had a Tactical Solutions .22 upper that used Black Dog magazines and it was great quality but it was fussy about ammo. Not my SW. It runs any garbage I feed it. Yes it has a lot of plastic used in its manufacture but the Umarex rifles use a great deal of pot medal in their construction. They typically use barrel sleeves and cannot be disassembled completely. A major ditractor in my book. They look cool and mimic the real rifle,carbine very well and are licensed from the original company. This is not the case with the GSG Hk clones. If you are looking for a plinker that runs like an AR then I would highly suggest the SW M&P15-22. A dedicated .22 from CMMG or Spikes or Tactical Solutions would be my next choice. The Umarex guns look very cool but feel cheap, yes they feel cheaper than the plastic SW M&P IMHO. Since I have not actually shot an Umarex I cant speak to their reliablity or accuracy. I can speak from personal experience about the SW and the Tac Sol upper and of the two I like the Smith better. The plus side to the CMMG, Spikes and TacSol rifles is the magazines are pretty easy to find. They share the same mag with the Sig Sauer .22 rifles. CMMG makes a copy of the Black Dog mag for a real decent price. The SW mags do load easier IMHO. No matter what rifle you get buy a pile of magazines. I really run throught he ammo when shooting mine and reloading one or two magazines a dozen or so times really sucks. I think owning a .22 AR type rifle just makes good sense considering the price of 5.56 today.
    Last edited by Fuzzy-Reticle; 06-10-12 at 22:05.
    "Run fast. Shoot straight. Die proud." -Boba Fett

Trample the weak. Hurdle the dead.

"Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems." -Ryan Job

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Moved to appropriate sub-forum.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    If you already got a 10/22 you could go with a Troy Chassis.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'm going to dissent and suggest that you build or buy a "real" AR that's chambered in .22LR instead of a S&W, Colt or Umarex. I've done it twice now and have never regretted it.

This one was built to mirror my main 5.56 AR as was the earlier carbine version.

Ken in Texas

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I'm going to dissent and suggest that you build or buy a "real" AR that's chambered in .22LR instead of a S&W, Colt or Umarex. I've done it twice now and have never regretted it.
    Where are you getting the parts to do that?
    Looks really good.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Thanks! The rimfire specific parts I used were:

* Ballistic Advantage dedicated midlength 0.625" LW .22LR barrel
    * Spike's BCG
    * CMMG last round bolt hold open device
    * CMMG LRBHO follower magazines
    * AGP Arms caliber marked lower

I also used a Primary Arms RDS instead of the ML3 that's on the 5.56. Everything else was typical AR - BCM upper receiver, Magpul furniture etc.

If I needed to do it again, I'd use a CMMG BCG instead of Spike's - CMMG has been very innovative in the rimfire AR world.
    Ken in Texas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast