Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.8 versus .308, LE use

Feedback Score

6.8 versus .308, LE use

Where can I find more data on the 6.8 spc in regards to terminal ballistics. Given the distances and liabilities that we in LE face, I would like to see more. Based on what I know at this time, I think that it needs exploration for the LE role. The .308 has a great amount of; and usually "too" much penetration (shoot throughs) for the distances that we are asked to deliver precision fire. I think that there was time when there was good reason for law enforcement to ride the coattails of the military in regards to the .308, but the roles are distinctly different (that is also the issue with a lot of sniper training being done for police). At any rate, the 6.8 may need more exploration for police and I would like more info and opinion. I would also like a Remington police 6.8 to test, since we do all our own "FBI protocol" and other ammo tests...Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    very interested in this also....in the last couple of weeks I have seen some very impressive 6.8 SBRs and SPRs.

It strikes the male gene of, "I want."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    DocGKR is the source.
    Aubrey<><

Feedback Score
    Interested as well.

From,
    Joe....

Feedback Score
    http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=1097
    This is the link to my review of the 6.8SPC in the custom builds thread. I think that this is a PERFECT law enforcement round. I've had shots with the Hornady V-max where there wasn't even an exit wound and the max distance I've shot is 200 yards. Given that a deer isn't a person and it does have extra mass to fragment in, I wouldn't outright state that it's the best LE round out there, but based on what I've seen so far with this round on living targets, I'd say it's the closest thing to perfection I have access to. In my opinion a .308 will never be replaced, but if you are clearing a house or making a hostage saving prcision shot with your people in the immediate area, or any situation that calls for a "one shot stop" without over-penetration, then this is the round for you.
    (It's like watching a cartoon seeing a deer get hit with this round, the last one spun on her back and was laying there dead with her legs sticking strait up in the air like a cockroach!)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mike240
    Where can I find more data on the 6.8 spc in regards to terminal ballistics. Given the distances and liabilities that we in LE face, I would like to see more. Based on what I know at this time, I think that it needs exploration for the LE role. .
    Like .308, 6.8spc is overkill, in my opinion, for law enforcement apps unless you are a counter-sniper. You have over-penitration problems with 223. Why ask for more trouble?

Z

Feedback Score
    You have over-penitration problems with 223.
    Zeef, are you kidding?!?!?

As the last 25 years of wound ballistic research and forensic analysis has clearly and repeatedly demonstrated in both lab testing and OIS incident results, .223 in general has the LEAST penetration of any commonly used LE ammunition.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeef
    Like .308, 6.8spc is overkill, in my opinion, for law enforcement apps unless you are a counter-sniper. You have over-penitration problems with 223. Why ask for more trouble?

Z
    I am specifically talking about 6.8 in the LEO sniper role where the .308 has great terminal ballistics but without a doubt endangers other innocent persons and teammates due to over penetration. In regards to the .223 over penetrating I too can argue that one. In the Phoenix metro are there have been numerous LEO .223 shootings with one shot stops and no exit wounds. Most of these involved the use of the Federal 55 grain Gameking bullet.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    "Over-Penetration" indicates that a round has entered a target, expended energy on that target, and has exited the target in various states of expansion, while then causing collateral damage to innocents or property after exiting the target.

A "one shot stop, with no exit wound" = very good performance & sufficient, yet unknown, penetration.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeef
    You have over-penitration problems with 223. Why ask for more trouble?
    Z
    This has come up with numerous departments that switched from 9mm based carbines and subguns to 223 platforms because the 223 has less over-penetration capability by comparison.

Thats not to say that a 223 wont over-penetrate, just that it has much less potential to do so compared to say 9mm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast