Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 6.8 versus .308, LE use

Feedback Score
    Another round worth considering is the .243 Win. It appears to have have advantages over .308/7.62 in LEO applications. Further testing is warranted. Doc likely has some insight into this.

Feedback Score
    Certain .308 loads like Hornady's 110gr Urban TAP are designed to fragment early and reduce overpenetration, though I don't know what kind of terminal performance can be expected. Maybe someone with any experience with this load can chime in.

Tspeis

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Cameron

Feedback Score
    I dont know if it really applies to you pros. But to us amateurs, having reasonably priced ammo is a big deal. The 6.8 is still pretty pricey.

With a .308 deer gun, I can purchase quality, brass cased surplus ammo for practice, then switch to the fancy stuff when I'm actually shooting at something I want to kill.

To me, the weakest link in the rifle/ammunition/rifleman system is usually the rifleman. Anything you can do to promote lots of good practice is a will increase the effectiveness of the system.

Don
    Last edited by dcmdon; 12-11-08 at 04:46.

Feedback Score
    If the DOD test lead to some form of adoption or if the 6.8 keeps growing at this rate a larger ammo manufacturer will pick up the 6.8 competition lowers prices.
    I heard a rumor(unsubstantiated) that Winchester may be looking at it

Feedback Score
    Agreed. Its a great round for the AR.

by the way. its corrected now, but I meant to say the weakest link is the RIFLEMAN.

Don

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MX5 View Post
    Another round worth considering is the .243 Win. It appears to have have advantages over .308/7.62 in LEO applications. Further testing is warranted. Doc likely has some insight into this.
    Yes, I've seen some proposals even that the .243 (or some similar 6mm variant) be adopted as the standard service round. Like this one, for instance. Also, this article--which reviews the history of military cartridges, shows a number of 6mm cartridges that have been considered as alternatives. IMHO, something in the 6mm to 6.5 range would be the best trade-off, but the current 6.8 spc will do just fine too, once the specs for the optimal rifle chambers and barrels are firm, and there is affordable ammo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123