Thread: SBS Benelli Shotgun training ammo

Feedback Score

SBS Benelli Shotgun training ammo

I'm looking for some plincking ammo for training. I know what I like for HD. For HD I use Federal 8 pellet 00 Buck, and Federal Tur Ball rifled slug.
    I think the way to go is to use 00 buck for training but that can get expensive so I'm not sure if that's a possibility.
    So I'm looking for a birdshot that I can use to train with. What do you guys recommend? Or should I just stick to the 00 buck Federal LE132 8 pellet. I see a lot of Remington and Winchester stuff out there that might work, but all of them have very small bird shot in them and pattern quite big at distance, so I'm not sure if this is good for training since the pattern is pretty big. I say this after shooting Federal #7 Birdshot and seeing how small the pellets are and how wide they spread at 10yards.

Thanks guys and be safe
    R
    Last edited by rickp; 03-10-13 at 21:33.
    "In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. On Combat

Feedback Score
    I generally run drills with the cheap bulk packed target loads you can buy at walmart for $20 per 100. They run well in my M1S90. You could at least use them for drills inside 15 yards. Ammo availability being what it is I don't think I would want to wast good ammo. As long as you know how your shotgun patterns with your HD ammo you can still get training value with the cheaper shells.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanm40a1 View Post
    I generally run drills with the cheap bulk packed target loads you can buy at walmart for $20 per 100. They run well in my M1S90. You could at least use them for drills inside 15 yards. Ammo availability being what it is I don't think I would want to wast good ammo. As long as you know how your shotgun patterns with your HD ammo you can still get training value with the cheaper shells.
    I feel the same the wayn about my HD ammo, and I do know how it patterns, it was the first thing I did.

LEt me ask you what shot are you using for inside of 15y? That's the main reason I'm asking. The Federal Steel and Target #7 load I tried out works well but at 15y the pattern is pretty big, and I feel like there's no precision if that makes sense. I mean a bad shot would be missing the whole target all together. You know what I mean?

R
    "In the end, it is not about the hardware, it's about the "software". Amateurs talk about hardware (equipment), professionals talk about software (training and mental readiness)" Lt. Col. Dave Grossman. On Combat

Feedback Score
    I usually run the bulk packed lite target loads (Federal, Remington or Winchester) I get at Walmart. I cant remember the shot but I think it was #8. I shoot IDPA cardboard targets with it and it usually patterns about the size of a basketball or a little smaller at 15 yards. If I wanted precision I would use another weapon or slugs at least. I run the trueball low recoil as well and keep a few on my side saddle on my M1S90.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Sometimes you can find Fiocci low recoil LE buckshot for $125-135 a flat. GH

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My M1 has run about 2k of RIO low recoil and standard 00buck. Runs it fine, although the pattern with anything but Federal flightcontrol sucks ass.

I brought 1k of the RIO for a shotgun class, iirc it was 200-300, but I forget, and I know it's not that now.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Ran 200 rounds of Wally world federal low brass through my M2 with a IC choke this weekend. At 30-35 feet patterns were softball sized.

For plinking, live fire drills, reaction shooting etc its great. Get past 30 feet and switch to buck.
    Allen
    Last edited by Allen; 03-13-13 at 18:56.