Thread: Pat McNamara Combat Strength Training AAR

Feedback Score

Pat McNamara Combat Strength Training AAR

I had the pleasure to take part in Pat McNamara’s inaugural Combat Fitness Class on June 9 in Southern Pines, NC. There were five students in the class each from a different state: New Jersey, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina and Illinois. The class was a mix of LE, military and civilians with all but one person having been exposed to Pat before.

The class took place at Southern Pines barbell. The gym was closed for the day for the class, but since there was only 5 of us, Pat did allow a few people that walked in to work out on their own, which was nice of him.

Many people have been on Pat for a long time to conduct this class, and I was glad to be part of the first one. I think it will have real benefit to people who want to learn some new exercises and how to organize their workouts in a different way, a way that will work your whole body more thoroughly in a shorter amount of time.

In Pat’s description of the class he writes:
    “Focusing on self preservation and longevity, CST will introduce the chassis and its external components to power, strength, and agility training in all plains of motion within the full muscle spectrum range.”

While this description can sound daunting to some, this class was not a beat down course in which you are driven hard all day long. This is definitely meant to be more of a cerebral course and it was. We did get in an exhausting workout at the end of the class but there was plenty of learning to be done before then.

We started off at 8:30am with Pat lecturing on a number of different topics. Many of the principles that he teaches in his TAPS shooting classes (which I had taken the week before in High View, WV) are incorporated into his fitness philosophy. The two main similarities being: “Think performance over outcome” and “Understand the status of your weapon system at all times”. In this course the weapon system is your body.

We took 10 minutes to warm and loosen up and from there we spent about and hour and a half going over the Olympic lifts which Pat believes are fantastic tools, when done correctly, to build strength and power. This module was taught by his AI, Joe, who demonstrated proper form on the following lifts: back squat, front squat, power clean, push press, and dead lift. We all practiced these lifts while constantly being watched and corrected on our form by Joe and Pat. I used dumbbells for most of my weight workouts and Pat was there to give me methods for conducting these exercises with dumbbells in addition to a few more challenging ones that I had never seen before.

Pat then took us into how he organizes his workouts and what types of exercises he would do for them. He also taught us some neck exercises, which he says aren’t done enough or at all by most people. He also talked to us about doing transverse (twisting) plane of motion exercises and that these are often ignored also, but power in the transverse plane will translate into power in combat/fighting.

Throughout his demonstration of various exercises he showed us, many of which his devious mind developed himself, he allowed the students “discovery learning” time to try them on our own under his watchful eye.

We then did some combatives work and he expounded on his philosophy of unarmed combatives techniques. I really enjoyed this, it had been a long, long time since I had done any sort of bag work and it was nice to get some tips from Pat on my form. This is one area, boxing, that I would like to expand on in my own fitness training.

At the end of the day, it was time for our workout. He setup 9 exercises around the gym with the 10th being a couple block run outside that would set the pace for each station. We did a round robin workout, hitting each station twice. You worked out at your station while the runner was out and when he retuned we switched to the next station, had a 30 second break and then we started again. I don’t know how long it took us to finish the two rotations, but I know that each one of us was totally gassed at the end.

We then got back together by the white board while Pat summarized our day and answered some questions. I believe we walked out the door right around 3pm.

If you want to learn some new workout routines and exercises and/or are wanting to start a new fitness routine, I highly recommend taking this class. Pat will definitely give you many ideas on how to organize your fitness regimen. I imagine that if I took this class again, he would have several different exercises in the round robin than he had in this class. Pat has a wealth of knowledge on many topics and I thank him for taking the time to impart it to those of use willing to learn.

I would like to thank Pat for putting this class together for us and for the individual attention he gave each one of the students. I would also like to thank Joe for his section on the Olympic lifts and with helping out all day long with the class. I would also like to thank Southern Pines Barbell for allowing us to take over the gym for the day.

We did take a lot of pictures throughout the day. Hopefully, Paul at Grey Group will be getting them and posting them soon.
    Last edited by HiPower Fan; 06-15-12 at 04:38.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What was the experience level of the students? Were most of them fairly experienced in the gym?

Thanks,

Okie John
    Quote Originally Posted by Suwannee Tim View Post
    He wants something par-full. But not too par-full.

Feedback Score
    Yes, everyone was pretty well experienced. One was active duty military, one was into body building for a while. Pat is very much a proponent of working to the individual's own performance level and not a set "standard". I was operating on a sprained ankle that I had braced and he was staying on me the whole class about not doing too much so I didn't injure it further. He believes that you set your own standard for your fitness/shooting and then you work on improving it.

Feedback Score
    Thank you very much for this AAR. I really would like attend one of these classes.

Peter

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

TMACS, Inc.
    www.tmacsinc.com

Grey Group Training:
    www.greygrouptraining.com

I knew this was going to be one of a class.

The class photos are ready.

Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    nice, I see some bag work and knees and I know mac has some Boxing and MT experience, looks like a great class and damn good to see a dude like with such a wide variety of experience tying it all together. Im looking forward to getting some training in with TMAC .

Im reading "starting strength" right now and going to start lifting, as a total n00b this class would have great for me to start of right. I'll have to check on the next one.
    Last edited by Shawn.L; 06-17-12 at 17:12.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just finished TAPS this past week with Mac (LE course in Ohio). There are tons of great AARs on that class, so I'll leave it at this:

Mac could teach algebra and make it interesting and fun to learn. That is on top of his impressive skill sets. Great teachers rarely get enough credit. His teaching ability and great personality are facets that really set him apart in my book.

Feedback Score
    This is a class I'm definitely interested in. I have a little bit of a boxing background these days. Great to see it combined with strength training! Thanks for the AAR. Looks like really great stuff.
    Last edited by francis; 06-19-12 at 00:45.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Thanks for the AAR looks like a great class.