Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New member looking for some info

Feedback Score

New member looking for some info

Hey everyone, new member. I've been stalking around your website for a couple of weeks and decided to join since there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here. I came across your website on my search for m4 style carbines and being on the fence of whether to build one or buy one. I don't want anything super extravagant and I will be on a tight budget since the wife is laying down the law.

Anyways, like I said, I've been reading around a lot and I will try to avoid asking repetitive questions about stuff that I've already found through searching.

To start off, I'm in the military, and with the new unit I am in, I really don't ever get to fire anymore so that is one of the main reasons I began this search. I miss my time with my weapon.

My first and most important question; is it more worth it to build a rifle, or just use my S&W Nation's Finest discount and change out a few things when money allows? This is probably not likely for me to do as I would really like to experience building a rifle, but seems important to ask.

The rest of my questions involve building. I know some items I want, and some things that I am still new to in the terms of building a rifle and which companies are the most reputable. Looks like I will try to stick with Daniel Defense and BCM for much of my parts. So here are some questions I haven't been able to dig up on your site (most of them relate to my limited knowledge of the NFA):

-Am I required to submit the ATF Form 1, Application to Make and Register a Firearm if I do a rifle build, or is that just for people utilizing suppressors and such for their builds?
    -What is the shortest barrel length I can have for my rifle without the extra tax stamps? I would like to do a 14.5" barrel, but am on the fence.
    -What are the benefits and disadvantages of a free float system opposed to the alternative?
    -I want to use a low profile gas block with rails that cover that portion. I will be initially using Magpul MBUS flip sights (or similar) until I get some rounds through it and comfortable with it (and of course, can afford it). At that point I'll add some sort of optics system, where the MBUS will become a back-up. Can I buy a barrel without the gas block/sight, or will I have to remove that and add a low profile my self?
    -Is the lower receiver the only part that I will need an FFL transfer for (assuming I don't buy local?

Those are my main questions to start. I'm sure I will have 100 to follow, but I will be sure to search and find as much as I can without bothering you all with redundant questions. Thanks to those of you who took the time to read through this. A bit more info below. Any recommendations are more than welcome.

Military member living in Northern Virginia.
    Planning on trying to use military discounts as much as possible.
    Prefer to purchase BCG complete so I do not have to stake it myself.
    I plan on using mostly Magpul accessories for grip, stock, magazines, etc.
    First attempt at building a rifle. My experience is limited to field stripping and cleaning various weapons including the M4.
    I want to be able to fire 5.56 NATO and .223
    Will mostly be a plinker, also possible personal/home defense.
    Any other questions, let me know. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Lots of questions... You have a long way to go and a lot of reading to do. I will answer a few ?'s for you out of boredom. All of this I have learned myself from this site. You MUST search and read more or you can expect NO help from other members in the future. Most likely whatever you want to know can be found using the search button.

You do not have to file any NFA paper work for a standard build. Just buy a lower and build away.
    Barrels less than 16" need NFA paper work unless flash hider is pinned(dont go there IMO)
    Free float barrels allow for better accuracy.
    Barrels can be bought with or without gas blocks installed. The best low profile gas block is a pinned front sight thats been cut/grinded down.
    A lower receiver is considered a firearm and will need to ship to an FFL for transfer.

That should get you started, PLEASE do some research when more questions arise. SEARCH and READ around on this site, it will be worth your time, trust me.
    Last edited by Evil Colt 6920; 02-14-12 at 00:56. Reason: .
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by polymorpheous View Post
    That is probably one of your best bets. Sit back for a few more weeks, SEARCH and READ! You seem to be a bit behind in the AR knowledge department but every question you asked has been addressed, mostly ad nauseum. Go with a ready-built rifle, preferably a Colt 6920, and use that orange "SEARCH" button at the top.

Good luck!

Feedback Score
    Thank you guys for your responses. I apologize for asking questions that have already been asked. I have been reading your site immensely and have been searching to the best of my ability. I will keep the colt you mentioned as an option, though I would much prefer to build this one.

Evil colt, why do you recommend staying away from the pinned flash hider on a shorter barrel? Also I did come across the front sight ground down before, but the method I saw involved removing the sight beforehand which would involve re-pinning. Didn't think of doing it while attached to the barrel.

Thanks again, and I'll keep reading and try to stay out of everyone's hair.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by StealthscrapE View Post
    Evil colt, why do you recommend staying away from the pinned flash hider on a shorter barrel?
    As you shoot your AR more you will want to change certain things on it to fit your style. Having a pinned flash hider will limit your options when modding your rifle in the future.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you're on a budget, save a little longer. In fact, save a lot longer. Most folks that go for a budget rifle regret it if they put serious rounds downrange. If you shoot it a few times a year, it doesn't matter. If you want something reliable with a proven track record, it'll cost a little more. Don't just save enough for the rifle. Get an assload of ammo too. No point buying a rifle without budgeting ammo. Who buys a car without the budget for gas?

Most folks including myself recommend buying turnkey first. Don't build or start bolting crap on until you figure out what works for your rifle's role, your needs, and your physiology. You're going to end up with a box of parts that didn't work out. No one gets it right the first time around, and being on a budget makes this an expensive and slow process.
    “The practical success of an idea, irrespective of its inherent merit, is dependent on the attitude of the contemporaries." Nikola Tesla

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    why do you recommend staying away from the pinned flash hider on a shorter barrel?
    This limits your options.
    When you shoot the gun enough to know what you want for it, you may find you want a freefloated handguard, perhaps a different muzzle device.
    Maybe you even want to extend the handguard out past the gas block.

Permanently pinning a muzzle device will prevent you for accomplishing any of this.

The Colt 6920 I link above is a good base for you to work off of.
    Forget about the extra 1.5"
    Get yourself a solid performer, shoot the piss out of it, and take a class or two.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    why do you recommend staying away from the pinned flash hider on a shorter barrel?

Thanks again, and I'll keep reading and try to stay out of everyone's hair.
    If you're unsure about what flash hider/rail set up you want on a custom build, don't pin it. Once it's pinned it's on there for good. You can't change rails, etc if it's pinned on there.

You're most definitely welcome on this site! Just keep reading and searching, and then do the asking.

Feedback Score
    I am one who likes to tinker with things. With that being said, I have built one AR so far. I completely enjoyed shopping for all the different parts and then seeing the whole thing come together.

I say BUILD IT.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast