96 43.44%
  • Magpul AFG

59 26.70%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a Vertical Grip

Feedback Score
    29 (97%)

Help me pick a Vertical Grip

I have expierence with Tango Down, Daniel Defense and the Magpul AFG. I was thinking about trying something new with my new rifle when it gets here and was thinking about either the Troy or the KAC but have never used/felt one before so I'm just unsure.

I have heard that the Troy is alittle on the heavier side which may be the deciding factor because the new rifle is going to have a DD RIS II full length rail and I know that is on the heavier side of rails so I want to keep as much weight off the front of the rifle as possible but still be able to have a grip/light combo.

I have not heard anything on the KAC grip, my search yielded nothing but pics of them and I can see that alot of people use them so that has to be a good thing but I want to hear what you think of it.

Is a vert grip a vert grip or is there any special considerations that I'm missing.

What do you guys think/reccomend

Thanks
    JR
    Last edited by JR TACTICAL; 08-03-11 at 04:24.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Semper Paratus AR-15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    A VFG is one of those parts where buying cheaper actually makes sense. You don't really need a QD one and you want it to break before it warps your rail system, so...

Go with a Magpul VFG, they are cheap and you can cut them down easily.
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You may see a lot of KAC grips because they are a military issue item and have been around for a long time, but I don't know anyone who uses one by choice. The locking mechanism is weak and the design has been surpassed.

I'll also recommend the Magpul MOE grip - cheap, lightweight and locks up tight.

Feedback Score
    I like the look of the TD VG (short) and may go that direction next time. I have the Magpul VG and I like it, good price. I also have the cheapie no name $20 VG which serves a function. It does have storage unlike the Magpul which requires a stopper or something to plug the hole. The Grip pod looks interesting but I have heard its heavy and a little pricey. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Why don't you go to the closest stores and see which ones feel the best? This is completely subjective.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    What you are asking is IMO unrealistic. I can guarantee you are going to get hundreds of different answers and then where will you be?

rsong76's advice is probably the best. Go to somewhere like SCG or one of the other big stores, bring your AR and then see about trying some. I can tell you having been through a fair share of them myself you will really have to use it to know if it works for you or not.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Try them all out for yourself, and pick your favorite. I did that and chose the Magpul RVG because it meshes well with how I hold my 14.5" carbine. My 20" rifle doesn't have a VFG at all, even though I do have an extra RVG.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I agree to try to find one that works well but a 50$ to 60$ a pop its unrealistic. I was lucky enough to have several friends with diff options. I cant tell you which one is the best or you should buy. I can tell you the one i chose and why. I went with the tango down stubby non qd. Its very tight on the rifle no movement at all. I opted for the non qd because i had/have no plans of removing it+ i feel it has a stronger grip. The stubby verson is obviously shorter i like this because i dont grab just the vfg i use it as a reference point+ it has a lower profile. I have had mine for 2-3 years and im very happy over all with it. As far as others go i cant go into detail other than the 10$ usgi issue pos. Hope this helps goodluck on you quest.
    "Courage is being scared to death ,but saddling up anyways" John wayne

NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    +2342 on trying everything out first. A lot of the people who buy the AFG (not really a VG) don't realize what it's intended for. I bet half of them end up on carbine length systems with a fully collapsed stock. Go for it if you like Magpul's position for your support arm. I use their RVGs for a point of reference.

Tango Down grips are great if you like to have options for storage, pressure pads indents and QD.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Go down to the new SCG peoria, its not far from your house, and try them out. I have the Magpul VFG and I like it a lot. You can try it out if you want.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast