Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A drop in free float rail?

Feedback Score
    44 (100%)
    Troy Alpha Rail is what you want. You may need to shave down your FSB depending on the length rail you want.

Don't buy on Ebay, buy here!

Jake

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Daniel Defense Omega and Centurion Arms C4 would be at the top of my list. Not sure about the Omega, but you do need to cut the delta ring and hand guard cap off for the Centurion, but that's extremely easy to do. The C4 is an awesome hand guard.

Unlike others apparently, I do not know exactly what you want, but these are good choices if you are looking for a solid railed hand guard that is acceptable for a fighting rifle. Troys are nice too, but tubes are not for everyone.
    Last edited by jonconsiglio; 06-18-12 at 17:38.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I strongly encourage you to go to a reputable gun store and pick up a few of the weapons available with different handguards so you can get a feel of what exactly you want. Don't worry about the install...

Then, once you make up your mind, you can buy from Gun Gallery in Jacksonville, and they'll install for free anything that you buy from them.

... just an idea to open up your options a little.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Troy Alpha is the right form factor but need something that does not require removal of the barrel or the front sight.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Armati View Post
    The Troy Alpha is the right form factor but need something that does not require removal of the barrel or the front sight.
    are you talking permanent or temporary? i dont' know of any that will slide over a FSB.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The Troy Delta is probably closest to what you're looking for. Otherwise, you have two-piece FF quadrail options from Troy, Midwest Industries, and Centurion. DD also has a two-piece FF quadrail, the Omega, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with a GI nut that does NOT have the delta ring, as you've indicated yours does not.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    The VLTOR CASV also came to mind, but I believe that's intended to work with a delta ring. I don't know if it also works without one.
    The CASV does require a Delta ring. It may work without it but I don't think it would be as rigid.

I like the Vltor CASV but I am trying to get away from the built in riser mount. I have one in on the ARMS SIR and I have to pay special attention to sorts of optics mounts I use. Then, if I want to use that optic on another gun, I have to get a different mount.
    I have the CASV-M model which has a full length riser but they also make the CASV-S model which has the riser only above the upper receiver. The rail above the barrel is (I believe) the same level as the A3 upper receiver.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Apex

I put the apex[IMG]
    http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/...b/IMAG0496.jpg //[/IMG] on my lmt and I love it.
    You can't be first but you could be next!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I am looking for a rail system that can be dropped in without removing the barrel. Ideally, I was looking for a smooth modular rail like the VTAC.
    Here is the Rainier Arms rail made for them by Samson, it is a variant of the Samson Evolution series rails. These attach using a standard barrel nut, and no delta ring. They are high quality, you put rails on them where you want, and leave them off where they are unwanted. You can also check out the Evo series rails, which have a "S" cut into them instead of the triangle as shown below.

Last edited by Stickman; 06-21-12 at 19:05.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Since we're all kind of shooting into the dark trying to figure out what you want, here's some questions you might want to answer for the forum/yourself before pursuing any further:

1. Why don't you want to remove the front sight post? Are you using a 14.5" barrel in conjunction with a pinned muzzle device?

2. If yes to question #1, are you against cutting down the FSB in order to fit a longer free float hand guard?

3. Earlier you said that you wanted a slick rail with only enough modular rails to mount a PEQ-2 and a flash light, but then you asked about the RIS II. The RIS II is not slick, requires the removal of the FSB, and also uses a proprietary barrel nut and thus does not apply to your quandrum.

In conclusion several people have already suggested a Centurion C4 rail in whatever length you need. Which leads me to another set of questions.

1. Barrel length.

2. Gas system length.

Once you answer these questions you may assign yourself the appropriate model of rail.
    In heavenly love abiding, no change my heart shall fear;
    and safe is such confiding, for nothing changes here:
    the storm may roar without me, my heart may low be laid;
    but God is round about me, and can I be dismayed?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast