Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Zen of the 100 Yard Zero

Feedback Score
    I use the same method when i zero by using this target. It is setup to be placed at 25m and if done properly, it will yield you a true 100m zero and all the benefits that come with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    Paterno is about as innocent as Eric Holder in F&F...
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I don't have an issue with reviving a necropost. It's much better than 30 new lube threads every week.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Bert View Post
    I use the same method when i zero by using this target. It is setup to be placed at 25m and if done properly, it will yield you a true 100m zero and all the benefits that come with it.
    I only accept a 25 meter zero (1.5" low) if a 100 meter range is not accessible. I have never seen a 25 yard/meter expedient zero require no change at 100 yards or greater.
    If 25 is all you got, do what you can, but don't think that it's the same.

I also have no use for dedicated short range zeroing targets. I just move POI to 1.5 inches low on whatever I can aim at easily and move back to 100 for the real zeroing as quickly as possible.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the info

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    F2S, just wanted to say thanks for this post. Excellent resource for a great zero.

Feedback Score
    Very well done sir
    STEVE FISHER
    INSTRUCTOR
    Sentinel Concepts

Consultant for
    Trijicon
    midwest industries
    Nighthawk custom firearms

Feedback Score
    Question: You stated to shoot 1.5" low at 25 yards. From the center of my red dot to the center of my bore I measured 2.75". Should I be shooting 2.75" low at 25 yards or still shoot 1.5" low?

Thanks and great read!
    "Live for something rather than die for nothing." - Gen. George Patton

"If you come expecting a fair fight, you are unprepared." - Magpul

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Question: You stated to shoot 1.5" low at 25 yards. From the center of my red dot to the center of my bore I measured 2.75". Should I be shooting 2.75" low at 25 yards or still shoot 1.5" low?

Thanks and great read!
    Your POI should be 1.5" lower than your POA at that distance, regardless of your optics' height over bore.

What I think he was saying is that in general, shots landing within a 3" circle is pretty reasonable for combat accuracy. So if you zero at 100m, and if you aim 1.5" high at anywhere between 25m and 200m, your shots will always hit inside that 3" circle. This does not take into account the inaccuracy of the ammo or the weapon. If everything else is gtg, 25m - 200m should involve zero guesswork using this method.
    Last edited by SMETNA; 07-29-12 at 00:15.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    This may sound like a dumb question, but for the 100 meter/yard zero, what do I set my rear elevation knob at during the zero process?

The only zero process I am familiar with is the 25 meter zero that I learned at Ft. Benning back in the 90s, where you set the knob at the Z marked position for the M4.

I have a LE6920 flattop, using a LMT rear sight instead of the carry handle and Troy Alpha freefloat. 16" bbl, standard front site base.

I've read this entire thread multiple times along with Molon's thread on zeros and trajectories and I haven't found a definitive answer. Both of these threads have a plethora of outstanding information. Thanks for all the hard work each of you have put in.
    Last edited by BangBang77; 07-31-12 at 18:35.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang77 View Post
    This may sound like a dumb question, but for the 100 meter/yard zero, what do I set my rear elevation knob at during the zero process?

The only zero process I am familiar with is the 25 meter zero that I learned at Ft. Benning back in the 90s, where you set the knob at the Z marked position for the M4.

I have a LE6920 flattop, using a LMT rear sight instead of the carry handle and Troy Alpha freefloat. 16" bbl, standard front site base.

I've read this entire thread multiple times along with Molon's thread on zeros and trajectories and I haven't found a definitive answer. Both of these threads have a plethora of outstanding information. Thanks for all the hard work each of you have put in.
    I personally prefer to use a variation of the 100 meter zero that is similar to a 50 or 200 meter zero, and for that setup (2 inches high at 100 meters) the rear sight is set to 6/3 -4 (will require resetting the rear elevation drum as per the IBZ if you want to retain the ability to dial for distance).
    You can simply spin the elevation drum to 3 (6/3 no gap) if it has not been set to allow negative travel below 3. That's essentially all you are doing when you reset the rear drum anyway, except that you can set it correctly to account for trajectory at long range.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I personally prefer to use a variation of the 100 meter zero that is similar to a 50 or 200 meter zero, and for that setup (2 inches high at 100 meters) the rear sight is set to 6/3 -4 (will require resetting the rear elevation drum as per the IBZ if you want to retain the ability to dial for distance).
    You can simply spin the elevation drum to 3 (6/3 no gap) if it has not been set to allow negative travel below 3. That's essentially all you are doing when you reset the rear drum anyway, except that you can set it correctly to account for trajectory at long range.
    Roger that, F2S. Much appreciated.

My department rifles are zeroed with the 25/300 meter zero. My sheriff and most of my fellow deputies are former .mil so we are all more familiar with it. We've actually been discussing going with a different zero and I think this is the answer we've been looking for.

We're a small rural department of only 8 full time deputies with limited fund so do you mind if I use your charts for reference only (no printing) to get my boys squared away?

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast