Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR15 and S12 together forever

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by defcon View Post
    weight isnt an issue. its just for paper targets. i have no interest in taking classes or doing competition.

what would be a better choice over DPMS?
    This site tends to be focused on more demanding uses and you may find that many topics discussed here aren't very relevant to your intended uses.

That said, I would encourage you to take some sort of class, even if all you want to do is shoot paper. It's more fun to shoot small groups at long distances! You might consider a basic "Carbine class" which tend to be more focused on fast shooting like in combat, or something like an Appleseed event or CMP match which focuses more on accuracy from conventional positions at relatively slow paces of fire. The latter two don't cost much - maybe $20-25, plus your ammo. That's little compared to the value you might get out of it.

As has been said, you probably don't need or want the cheek riser for use with iron sights. Also, most people who use the Magpul AFG use it quite far out (farther than you have room for) and you may want to experiment both with and without it, as it provides little or no benefit when used on a shorter forearm like your rifle has.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    weight isnt an issue. its just for paper targets. i have no interest in taking classes or doing competition.

what would be a better choice over DPMS?
    If that's your application, you are just fine, though I probably would have recommended an M&P 15-22 for around $500.
    Let us know how the conversion works out after you have a few thousand rounds through it.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    If that's your application, you are just fine, though I probably would have recommended an M&P 15-22 for around $500.
    Let us know how the conversion works out after you have a few thousand rounds through it.
    when i got my lower from my FFL, he asked me what my plans are for the AR15 and i told him nothing serious. i told him i just want to show off to my friends, family and just shoot paper targets. he then recommended the DPMS LPK.

i was looking at a MP15-22 but i really wanted a 5.56.
    Last edited by defcon; 06-22-12 at 14:41.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    This site tends to be focused on more demanding uses and you may find that many topics discussed here aren't very relevant to your intended uses.

That said, I would encourage you to take some sort of class, even if all you want to do is shoot paper. It's more fun to shoot small groups at long distances! You might consider a basic "Carbine class" which tend to be more focused on fast shooting like in combat, or something like an Appleseed event or CMP match which focuses more on accuracy from conventional positions at relatively slow paces of fire. The latter two don't cost much - maybe $20-25, plus your ammo. That's little compared to the value you might get out of it.

As has been said, you probably don't need or want the cheek riser for use with iron sights. Also, most people who use the Magpul AFG use it quite far out (farther than you have room for) and you may want to experiment both with and without it, as it provides little or no benefit when used on a shorter forearm like your rifle has.
    ya i kinda figured this forum was different that TOS. you guys are definitely more into functionality.

i thought these classes would go for a couple of hundred which is why i didnt consider it. $20-$25 sounds good.

i agree. ill get a better feel after i get some range time.

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    Is this a joke?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I like what you did to the S12 I did a Conversion Myself on One I had they are a Blast to shoot

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SW-Shooter View Post
    Is this a joke?
    i dont get it?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    ya i kinda figured this forum was different that TOS. you guys are definitely more into functionality.

i thought these classes would go for a couple of hundred which is why i didnt consider it. $20-$25 sounds good.

i agree. ill get a better feel after i get some range time.
    Typical "carbine classes" start in the $150 range and go up towards $1000 or more for multiday courses with nationally known names. And what you describe as your goals doesn't require that type of instruction.

But the Appleseed and CMP are more club or nonprofit type events, run by volunteers. $20-25 is just a ballpark but should be accurate in much of the US. (You seem to be in California and I have no idea what's the norm there.) There may also be other basic rifle marksmanship instruction offered by local shooting clubs or ranges - worth looking into. If you aren't already a member of a private shooting club, I would look into joining one.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Typical "carbine classes" start in the $150 range and go up towards $1000 or more for multiday courses with nationally known names. And what you describe as your goals doesn't require that type of instruction.

But the Appleseed and CMP are more club or nonprofit type events, run by volunteers. $20-25 is just a ballpark but should be accurate in much of the US. (You seem to be in California and I have no idea what's the norm there.) There may also be other basic rifle marksmanship instruction offered by local shooting clubs or ranges - worth looking into. If you aren't already a member of a private shooting club, I would look into joining one.
    yep im in southern california. i would be definitely interested if there are $20-$25 events. ill look around

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    yep im in southern california. i would be definitely interested if there are $20-$25 events. ill look around
    nm.. reading comprehension fail
    Last edited by Grizzly16; 06-22-12 at 15:41.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast