Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Painting an AR?

Feedback Score
    I like KG gunkote for a moly flat gray base coat. Alumahyde II for colors cuz it coats furniture and optics without baking required. Yes it will all wear with time but so what. Gets you up and running.
    Working for Crossfire Australia, a military rucksack and load-bearing equipment company. Still doing limited design and development of nylon LBE.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Norrells will be your easiest to apply, most durable, and most solvent resistant. The below link walks you through everything, and while it isn't perfect, it covers most areas I can think of.

http://www.coloradoshooting.org/ar_refinishing.htm
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MudBug
    I know this isn't an AR, but I used Durcaot on my LTR and the finish is fantastic.

CROM!

That is cool looking.

Nice use of colors, nice rifle.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is an A-2 with Burris scope and field expediant cheek piece. I used krylon and a snipers veil.
    Scouts Out

Feedback Score
    So how durable is Krylon? What happens to it when it gets oils and clp on it or bore cleaner for that matter? Will a krylon finish get all sticky and nasty and need to be stripped off?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ren
    So how durable is Krylon? What happens to it when it gets oils and clp on it or bore cleaner for that matter? Will a krylon finish get all sticky and nasty and need to be stripped off?

Krylon is cheap, and an effective way to mask your weapon. However, if you are looking for solvent resistance, or a durable finish, its not going to cut it.

The most beat up looking weapons you will see in general are tan, as the darker coating underneath stands out quite a bit. The pigment used in tan is also not as durable in many finishes, so it tends to wear heavily and quickly.

The wear isn't a bad thing, but for people who are looking to keep weapons pristine looking, tan is NOT a good color to do it. For people who don't care about a pretty gun, tan blends in to most environments, and the wear and chipping only helps in concealment and breaking up its outline.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    I did the Krylon on one of my builds, it did the job I needed it to do and it has held up way better than I expected.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For krylon just throw a snipers veil on it, spray the color of the local folage, and eat Hot C's. (Uh, MRE's to you younger folks)
    Scouts Out

Bulldog1967 Guest
    I love the Duracoat...super easy to apply and durable.

Feedback Score
    I use Duracoat and some KG3 depending on the application. Duracoat is very easy to use, durable but not indestructible and can be softened with a strong solvent such as acetone. It does hold up very well under normal conditions. It is a good way to start painting especially if you are only going to do one or two guns. The biggest tip I can give you is that if you do a pattern, make sure you put the matte clear coat on at the end. It really smoothes the pattern and blends the color. This was a tough one I did for a friend. Good luck and have some fun with it.

Jbar

(Sorry, I don't have Stickman's skill with a camera. But then, who does )

Here is my truck gun. I think it turned out nice but I would go with a darker color if I painted it again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast