Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 14.5" pinned with no weld

Feedback Score
    99 (100%)

14.5" pinned with no weld

I recently purchased an upper from another member with a 14.5" barrel. It has a pinned Surefire MB556K bringing it to 16"+ but the pin is not welded. The seller didn't advertise this as NFA. Said he got it new from Gun Gallery -which from what I've read do not pin muzzle devices. I've had other 14.5"ers and they were all pinned with spot welds making it a 'blind pin'. Seller insists it's GTG, I am not so sure. BTW I do have a SBR lower but my intentions were to use this on a non-SBR lower. Here is photo. Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Gun Gallery outsources the work to ADCO.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopserv...p_.cfm?code=25
    Last edited by snakedoctor; 06-26-12 at 21:28.
    May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Simple fix if you lived here I would do it for you in a second. But your in luck it can be done by you if you so choose. You can use 1100 degree silver solder. If you interested in it I will spell it out for you.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    99 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    Simple fix if you lived here I would do it for you in a second. But your in luck it can be done by you if you so choose. You can use 1100 degree silver solder. If you interested in it I will spell it out for you.
    Thanks for the offer. I'm aware of ways to fix it, only trying to discern is if it's is legit 'as is'.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by snakedoctor View Post

Then it should be welded ADCO did Mine and it is You can't hardly See it

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It sounds like a no-go, from what you have posted it doesn't appear to be a legal 16" OAL.

ETA- In looking at the pic, I can't tell on my monitor if that is a roll pin I'm seeing, or a very clean grind off a weld.
    Last edited by Stickman; 06-26-12 at 22:52.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    99 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by snakedoctor View Post

ADCO pins AND welds muzzle devices to make 16"+ OAL.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    And Steve (ADCO) doesn't Leave Metal showing they took good care in covering the weld spot to the point you almost can't tell it is there

NRA Member

Feedback Score
    99 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    It sounds like a no-go, from what you have posted it doesn't appear to be a legal 16" OAL.

ETA- In looking at the pic, I can't tell on my monitor if that is a roll pin I'm seeing, or a very clean grind off a weld.

As for it being a roll pin, I can't 'see through the middle' in person either. If it was welded the grind went beyond the outer surface of the muzzle device.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    I never liked that technique because it gets pretty close to the temp at which the heat will alter the steel. Granted welding is hot, but its a very instant process, not a gradual heating.

I think you can contact Gun Gallery, or the original owner for a receipt which would list the device was pinned/welded.
    Last edited by bp7178; 06-26-12 at 23:54.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast