Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR15 and S12 together forever

Feedback Score

AR15 and S12 together forever

Finally finished my first AR15. I was going for a Riflegear midlength upper but I got a good deal for a PSA upper that just came in. I need to clean and lube it up for the range next weekend. I've never shot an AR15 before so I'm excited. I won't be buying optics anytime soon so I'm excited to learn how to shoot with iron sights. It's just for paper targets only.

Also will this cheek riser work with a charging handle? I'm using a 4 position stock? I can pull the charging handle back but I'm not sure if this will interfere.

Currently watching youtube vids on how to deal with common AR15 malfunctions.

Purchasing an ARMS 40L rear BUIS.

Also I did the conversion myself on the Saiga 12.

PSA Complete upper 16" carbine
    Spikes Lower (Spider)
    BCM BCG
    BCM C/H Mod 4
    Magwell grip
    CASV clone
    Raddlock button
    Magpul
    AFG
    MOE stock
    Cheeck Riser
    DPMS LPK
    DPMS buffer tube
    PMAG 10/30

_MG_2386 by defconskylude, on Flickr

_MG_2384 by defconskylude, on Flickr

_MG_2380 by defconskylude, on Flickr

_MG_2381 by defconskylude, on Flickr

Feedback Score

AR15

Have fun with it. Shoot the shit out of it and update your post with your results.
    The cheek riser looks unnecessary and will be in the way. I am not sure if i would use the magwell for a handgrip either. For safety concerns.

The S12 looks like it would be a blast to shoot
    Last edited by hotbiggun42; 06-22-12 at 13:18.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    The second this thread gets out of line I am going to hand out infractions and delete posts.

There is some clear montoring opportunity here, but don't be rude.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbiggun42 View Post
    Have fun with it. Shoot the shit out of it and update your post of the results.
    The cheek riser looks unnecessary and will be in the way. I am not sure if i would use the magwell for a handgrip either. For safety concerns.

The S12 looks like it would be a blast to shoot
    im comfortable with the magwell grip but ill be using this with my .22 CMMG conversion kit.

i understand that its bad to use a magwell grip with .223 for a possible kaboom which can blow off my hand. ill be using the AFG when i shoot .223 rounds instead of the magwell grip.

yes i know i dont have 3 hands.

ya i wasnt sure if i needed a cheek riser because i thought it would interfere with the charging handle. ill find out if i can chamber a round with the cheek riser on. i honestly got it because i thought it looked good. ill learn after i shoot it.

also its comfortable with the stock fully extended at the 4 position. i can pull the charging handle back.

will be purchasing a real CASV if a used one pops up in the market.
    Last edited by defcon; 06-22-12 at 12:24.

Feedback Score
    MaTech

KAC 600M Rear flip up

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do you mind telling us how much the setup cost you?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Buying something b/c it looks good isn't a wise choice. At this point all it has done is add weight. Same with magwell grip. DPMS would not be my first choice. Or second. But, live and learn. That's why this site is great. Except that F2S has stopped the fun before it could begin.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenromeo View Post
    Do you mind telling us how much the setup cost you?
    $1100 with tax

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The cheek riser is intended to be used with optics that are raised well above the plane of the upper.
    Like a scope on top of a carry handle or very high risers.

With it in place and using no items like that, I'm fairly certain you're literally not going to be able to get a good line of sight through the irons.

The magwell grip is kinda unloved not for the chance of an explosion, but because it isn't a very stable hold as it leaves the whole of the barrel, handguards etc. unsupported.
    It also it transitions poorly between point targets. You can get things moving easily enough, but you'll never get it stopped in time without literally overshooting the target and having to pull back.

Both can be emulated to an extreme degree using a golf club or baseball bat.
    Hold by one end with one hand with it straight out horizontal and look at the other end. Not too stable is it.
    Then, pick a light switch and wall outlet on the same wall in the same room, and with the same horizontal hold try to point quickly from one to the other.
    Slow to get moving, hard to stop and must be drug back onto the target, right?

Those issues will assuredly happen to some degree or another when using a magwell grip.
    Having such occur constitutes poor muzzle control.
    Poor muzzle control = danger to everyone around.
    Last edited by GTifosi; 06-22-12 at 13:01.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    Buying something b/c it looks good isn't a wise choice. At this point all it has done is add weight. Same with magwell grip. DPMS would not be my first choice. Or second. But, live and learn. That's why this site is great. Except that F2S has stopped the fun before it could begin.
    weight isnt an issue. its just for paper targets. i have no interest in taking classes or doing competition.

what would be a better choice over DPMS?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast