Page 43 of 68 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Thread: Troy Industries complete rifle

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fat tone View Post
    Dumb question but how do i remove the troy battle axe stock?
    Open the door on the back. Pull the stock all the way to the rear, and keep pushing up on the position release button while pushing the stock to the rear. Reach into the stock with your other hand and pull down on the little bar with a finger to release the stock completely. You have to push up on the release button and pull down on the bar inside the stock at the same time.

Feedback Score
    Saw this on another forum. Maybe all BS, but interesting if it is true. Also could be bad news for guys that missed out on this deal and are now looking for one:

Posted by MikeB
    I originally got the info from the forums (ar15.com, m4carbine.net, etc.) when I was researching the heck out of this rifle. I decided to go straight to the source and talked to the armorer at Troy Defense a few min ago. Totally awesome, I call the Troy Defense #, straight to a live person, I ask for the armory, straight transferred to another live person who actually designed and built these. Definitely no cast lowers, either milled or forged lowers and always forged uppers. Also said that Dick's lost $ on those rifles, Troy sells them to Dicks for more than that, he said that Dick's REALLY lost their ass on this deal . He also confirmed that the FDEs will be in stores before the end of the year for sure in time for xmas, and finally said that they are working on additional models, and not to expect to ever see that price again anywhere in a store, at least not in the quantity that Dicks sold them (all of them in other words ). He said that even the $1100 price is a razor thin margin, that this are actually $1500 MSRP rifles but Troy was working with Dick's to test the water so to speak, and the water felt fine, even at $1100 they sold quite a few, so they will be expanding.

He also was totally cool about talking with me about the new VTAC rail I ordered to replace the standard Alpha rail, the right way to install, etc. Totally nice guy (Tom was his name).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CZ Kadet View Post

Open the door on the back. Pull the stock all the way to the rear, and keep pushing up on the position release button while pushing the stock to the rear. Reach into the stock with your other hand and pull down on the little bar with a finger to release the stock completely. You have to push up on the release button and pull down on the bar inside the stock at the same time.
    Appreciate it. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    Got mine, and I'm happy with it.

Mine came with a semi BCG, and has issues that others have already mentioned, including most prominently that Brownells 30-rounders are too big for the magwell. Some 20s drop free, some don't. The supplied Troy 10-rounder does not.

The trigger breaks cleanly, without crunching.

I like the build, and am not too concerned about the screwed+staked vs. pinned gas block. Wiggle in the front sight doesn't bother me, nor does the minimal play between the upper and lower.

I've stuck with my old Colt Lightweight A2-type that this one feels a lot different, in a good way. I'll run it after returning home next week.

Do you plan on sending it in for not dropping the mags and the play between the upper and lower? Is it more of a left to right play?

My rifle has the same problems as your pretty much. Debating on sending it back or not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CZ Kadet View Post
    Saw this on another forum. Maybe all BS, but interesting if it is true. Also could be bad news for guys that missed out on this deal and are now looking for one:

Posted by MikeB
    I originally got the info from the forums (ar15.com, m4carbine.net, etc.) when I was researching the heck out of this rifle. I decided to go straight to the source and talked to the armorer at Troy Defense a few min ago. Totally awesome, I call the Troy Defense #, straight to a live person, I ask for the armory, straight transferred to another live person who actually designed and built these. Definitely no cast lowers, either milled or forged lowers and always forged uppers. Also said that Dick's lost $ on those rifles, Troy sells them to Dicks for more than that, he said that Dick's REALLY lost their ass on this deal . He also confirmed that the FDEs will be in stores before the end of the year for sure in time for xmas, and finally said that they are working on additional models, and not to expect to ever see that price again anywhere in a store, at least not in the quantity that Dicks sold them (all of them in other words ). He said that even the $1100 price is a razor thin margin, that this are actually $1500 MSRP rifles but Troy was working with Dick's to test the water so to speak, and the water felt fine, even at $1100 they sold quite a few, so they will be expanding.

He also was totally cool about talking with me about the new VTAC rail I ordered to replace the standard Alpha rail, the right way to install, etc. Totally nice guy (Tom was his name).
    No, and I mean NO, chain store, sells guns for less than they paid. These stores are chain stores for a reason.

Basically you probably spoke with some intern or random shop "armorer", trying to be "cool by in the know".

Literally, in every sense of the ordeal, if you actually believed a word he said after he mentioned dicks sold the guns for less than they bought them for, I feel bad for you. Dicks probably got the guns for around 800-850 bucks in the end, being cost in crazy numbers of wholesale (were talking buying many thousands of guns, not just a few hundred like most people who buy 'wholesale' do).

And someone talking about new products? I'm sorry, if I spoke with that kid or if not a kid, a very dumb adult, and he was guacking about new products coming up, I'm sure their marketing people would probably have them cut loose within a day or so. 1500$ is LMT range. There is literally no way an employee from troy can claim their guns are better, and more valuable than companies like D/D's top end guns. Period. Every part of your post basically wreaks of someone talking out of their butt in every way shape and form. It was probably some "assistant" trying to talk like he really designed the thing (LOL, claimed to design it... I'm sure the guy who designed the gun would be the chum who picks up a phone at a company. Generally the designers are tiers above, even in small companies.... because they are too busy "designing things".

Like said, seems pure brown to me. O yea, dicks got forked. What if a dicks rep called and asked some questions like a normal consumer (like many big chain stores do to providers/mfg's, and they got told they got shafted). Sure that would go over good.

Btw, not going against you comrade, as I'm sure it seems so, It's more reply to the posts you saw, so just take it like that.
    Last edited by discreet; 12-05-12 at 00:53.
    From TOS ... "buy the shit out of that thing, all the mil spec is just nonsense."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by discreet View Post
    No, and I mean NO, chain store, sells guns for less than they paid. These stores are chain stores for a reason.

Basically you probably spoke with some intern or random shop "armorer", trying to be "cool by in the know".

Literally, in every sense of the ordeal, if you actually believed a word he said after he mentioned dicks sold the guns for less than they bought them for, I feel bad for you. Dicks probably got the guns for around 800-850 bucks in the end, being cost in crazy numbers of wholesale (were talking buying many thousands of guns, not just a few hundred like most people who buy 'wholesale' do).

And someone talking about new products? I'm sorry, if I spoke with that kid or if not a kid, a very dumb adult, and he was guacking about new products coming up, I'm sure their marketing people would probably have them cut loose within a day or so. 1500$ is LMT range. There is literally no way an employee from troy can claim their guns are better, and more valuable than companies like D/D's top end guns. Period. Every part of your post basically wreaks of someone talking out of their butt in every way shape and form. It was probably some "assistant" trying to talk like he really designed the thing (LOL, claimed to design it... I'm sure the guy who designed the gun would be the chum who picks up a phone at a company. Generally the designers are tiers above, even in small companies.... because they are too busy "designing things".

Like said, seems pure brown to me. O yea, dicks got forked. What if a dicks rep called and asked some questions like a normal consumer (like many big chain stores do to providers/mfg's, and they got told they got shafted). Sure that would go over good.

Btw, not going against you comrade, as I'm sure it seems so, It's more reply to the posts you saw, so just take it like that.
    You've never heard of a "loss leader", I take it?

I'm very much interested in hearing firsthand about the accuracy of these rifles.

The one I felt had very, very good balance without being a pencil barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss Hogg View Post
    I'm very much interested in hearing firsthand about the accuracy of these rifles.
    I can't wait to get my scope mounted so I can test accuracy... soon. I'm working on it, but someone else here will probably beat me to it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss Hogg View Post
    You've never heard of a "loss leader", I take it?

The one I felt had very, very good balance without being a pencil barrel.
    Well if the rifle did in fact cost Dick's $800 (rather speculative I think), than they DID in fact lose money on the pre Black Friday purchases; after the CC discount I was at $720 before tax.

As to the accuracy, I sighted mine in at 50 yards and with a magazine monopod I had about a 1 inch group; my optic comes tomorrow and then I plan on stretching it out some more.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone gotten an rma to send in their rifle for work? I was promised mine last Friday and have made calls and emails daily with no response back from troy. They are supposed to fix the magwell tightness to the corrct spec. Stefan started an rma on Thursday but when he went to send it to their ups system it was down for the night. He said I would have it Friday morning so I could get it sent out and back by this Friday as I have a shoot that I'm participating in and planned on using the troy.
    Last edited by skyhawk72; 12-05-12 at 10:58.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fat tone View Post
    Do you plan on sending it in for not dropping the mags and the play between the upper and lower? Is it more of a left to right play?

My rifle has the same problems as your pretty much. Debating on sending it back or not.
    I don't plan on contacting Troy until I have run it a bit to determine how it works as a system. If/when I send it out, I want to make sure that the service is comprehensive, which I can only do after knowing how it runs as is.
    Last edited by Bugs; 12-05-12 at 11:40.

Page 43 of 68 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast