Page 46 of 68 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Troy Industries complete rifle

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 007KING View Post
    Okay I received my Rifle today My Bolt Carrier is Definitely a F/A like on the Bottom pic. Same color and Everything BUT No Markings Visible Anywhere on It. Is That Weird/Normal??
    Mine is also FA, but with no markings.

Feedback Score
    No According from the Armorer at Troy Every Rifle Made For Dick's Sporting Goods Should Come With a Letter Of Authenticity. They Considered Every Rifle for Production to Dicks as a Limited Edition Troy Carbine. Mine is signed by Stephen Troy(But it looks More like a Copy of just the Signature). The Date Is Handwritten. October 3, 2012
    All the DSGs rifles have a certificate, but the certificate for the first 500 is a little different. It says that you have "one of of the 500 made with 7075 billet machined receivers". From what I've been reading, I'm not sure whether that is a good thing or not.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk72 View Post
    Has anyone gotten an rma to send in their rifle for work? I was promised mine last Friday and have made calls and emails daily with no response back from troy. They are supposed to fix the magwell tightness to the corrct spec. Stefan started an rma on Thursday but when he went to send it to their ups system it was down for the night. He said I would have it Friday morning so I could get it sent out and back by this Friday as I have a shoot that I'm participating in and planned on using the troy.
    It took 3 working days after speaking with B.Lambert at Troy for me to get an RMA for my lower. It is at Troy now.

Rob

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CZ Kadet View Post
    All the DSGs rifles have a certificate, but the certificate for the first 500 is a little different. It says that you have "one of of the 500 made with 7075 billet machined receivers". From what I've been reading, I'm not sure whether that is a good thing or not.
    I asked the armorer at Troy if there was Any advantage of a Billet Lower over a Forged one. And he said Not Really. I asked if there was any weight differences, he said None. He said they are Both made from the Same 7075 Aluminum. The Only Difference being Billet made from a Solid Block of It. The Forged is Just Melted 7075 and put under pressure in the mold. Basically the Only thing it's Good for is it Might Help Re-Sale Value. Maybe get a Few Extra $$$. But I'm not gonna sell mine so IDC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by machman72 View Post
    Mine is also FA, but with no markings.
    I see a marking of "CM" on the neck of that Star Looking thing on the bolt carrier(i think its called a Striker?) I have no idea but that's it. I wonder who makes these, not that it really matters.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I see a marking of "CM" on the neck of that Star Looking thing on the bolt carrier(i think its called a Striker?) I have no idea but that's it. I wonder who makes these, not that it really matters.
    Mine has CM on the bolt. That "star looking thing" is the bolt. The part it fits in is the bolt carrier.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by machman72 View Post
    Mine has CM on the bolt. That "star looking thing" is the bolt. The part it fits in is the bolt carrier.
    Thanks I had no idea what it was called. I thought striker, then bolt ejector, etc. LOL here's a pic of my "Bolt, F/A Bolt Carrier, Rifle". Noob
    Last edited by 007KING; 12-08-12 at 22:36.

Feedback Score
    I asked the armorer at Troy if there was Any advantage of a Billet Lower over a Forged one. And he said Not Really. I asked if there was any weight differences, he said None. He said they are Both made from the Same 7075 Aluminum. The Only Difference being Billet made from a Solid Block of It. The Forged is Just Melted 7075 and put under pressure in the mold. Basically the Only thing it's Good for is it Might Help Re-Sale Value. Maybe get a Few Extra $$$. But I'm not gonna sell mine so IDC.
    Am I really seeing my eyes, people on this site are wondering if billet is better or worse than forged?

Billet is forged under extreme, and I mean literally extreme pressures, which makes it billet. Down to the molecular level, it's much tighter in terms of "compound" or however you want to describe it. Less air pockets, less errors, less natural issues that happen with basic forging. Billet in every aspect of the meaning is far, FAR better than any basic forged lower. Forged lowers are generally easy to make (heck I did forgings out of 7075 in middle school). Billet takes very expensive machines to make. Basically its companies who own million dollar equipment by the thousands who produce mass billet.

There really is no comparison in the end. But there are also qualities and tolerances of billet. What grade billet did Troy use? Sure, it can be off grade, in which they say it's not better than forged and so forth, so basically they bought billet grades that are/were unsellable as true "billet" standards go.

Also, billet receivers take much more machining. So more cost in metal, more machine work, = more money. If they are charging the same for a billet and a forged lower, that means they are either cutting major corners, wanted to create fanboys, or, got a hold of some metals that they didn't want to use for their rails/sights, and pwn it off in the forms of lowers and call them limited.
    From TOS ... "buy the shit out of that thing, all the mil spec is just nonsense."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by discreet View Post
    Am I really seeing my eyes, people on this site are wondering if billet is better or worse than forged?
    The Billet lower may be novel, but Forged receivers seen to be doing just fine in lots of applications.

FYI, The "Billet vs Forged" argument:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=71363
    Last edited by SurplusShooter; 12-09-12 at 07:37.

Feedback Score
    Well I tried 2 Pmags I had and 1 Fit and Falls Perfectly, and The Other Pmag goes in Tight and Does Not Fall Free. As per Someone's comment on Talking to the Troy Armorer This is a Known Issue From Serial #s 1-3000.

After 3000 should all be Fine. I don't do Any Competition shooting so Im not going to send mine back. The Troy Battlemags work Flawlessly and That 1 Pmag worked Flawlessly.

I don't know how to tell the Different Pmag Generations Apart in Order to Determine which Gen. is the 1 that worked and Didn't. The Only Marking on the Pmag that I saw a Difference was The 1 That Worked had M4. Under this mark is a date dial with July 2012 on the side. And the 1 that DID NOT work had a Marking on the side of M5, date dial May 2011. I believe that's what the Dial does is determine the date but that Doesn't tell me what Generation it is.

If someone can Clarify that would be Great.

Page 46 of 68 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast