Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1858666768

Thread: Troy Industries complete rifle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadPirateMoyer View Post
    I wouldn't touch these rifles even if the only other option were DPMS or PSA.
    What's wrong with PSA? Not calling you out or anything but I just bought a bcg from them and is seems to be built properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    How did those bolts get out of the rifles?? GH
    You got the answer you deserved for this one. If this, and your other question on this page, was an attempt at Socratic method, it's cute in the same way a just-born colt clumsily getting to his feet is cute.

If that's NOT poorly-executed Socratic method, then it's sublimely-executed Thirteen Year Old Smartass. Something you'll NOT want to repeat.

We can also take questions about PSA to PM, given that this isn't a PSA thread. That said, there's nothing wrong with their components, but while they've had some questions that deserved to be asked regarding QA/QC with their complete guns/uppers, it's not systemic nor common. Your BCG is fine.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    I braved the cold recently and shot about 100 round thru my Troy Carbine at the 200 yard range. Weather was around 32-36 deg F, winds variable gusting up to 15 MPH. I shot from a bench-rest, approx 3-4 seconds between shots. I would shoot 2 targets (20 shots total) then allow it to cool.

Here's my best groups from that day :

All shot at 200 yards, 10 shots each target, using Nosler 62gn Varmagedon HPFB bullets and testing various powder charged (TAC). This was with my Monarch 4-16x scope.
    Notice they are all over these 7" targets.

If anyone else has any target scans I'd like to see them, this whole thread doesn't seem to have any actual target scans.
    Last edited by SurplusShooter; 12-06-13 at 22:57.

Feedback Score
    Well its been about a year, here's my wrap-up on the Troy Carbine based on my experience with it:

- I've tried several reloads trying to get good accuracy. Looking back through my targets, the Federal 69 grain (? 223SP1 ?) was the most accurate load and I was unable to reproduce that accuracy with subsequent handloads. Part of that was the great component shortage at the time, but in reality I don't think it should be this hard to make an AR shoot 2MOA (counting 10-shot groups), should it?
    (just for the record, I don't consider anything less than 10 shots to be statistically significant, or multiple 5-shot groups to compare together).
    - Best performance was 2MOA (2 inches at 100 yards, 10 shot group) but typical accuracy is really around 3 MOA at the maximum spread. This was using a 3-9x or 4-16x Monarch scope, shooting from a front rest with a rear sandbag. At this point I know people are going to say "you just don't know how to shoot", well I have had other people I know at the range (well respected) shoot this rifle also, and its not just me.
    - Is that good enough for Typical accuracy, considering this is meant to be a Carbine ? well you decide for your own purposes. Maybe I just happened to get a Dud, and everyone else got really good barrels.
    - My original goals in buying this rifle was to have a compact & lightweight Carbine that still delivered good-enough accuracy I could punch groups with a Scope. Instead, what I am seeing is accuracy that is sufficient for Iron Sights, but doesn't hold-together when trying to use a scope and punch groups on paper at 100 or 200 yards.

- I've now sold my Troy Carbine and I'm moving in a different direction: going to buy/build a full-on rifle length barrel with fixed stock configuration for bench shooting.
    - Just so you know, it appears the market for these Troy Carbines has crashed, nobody wants them (and also in the general AR market since supply has caught-up to demand since the summer). Especially when there are all sorts of other AR/M4 rifles at the local gun-store starting at $700-$800. I had to almost give it away just so I could move-on.
    Last edited by SurplusShooter; 12-06-13 at 23:08. Reason: spelling

Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1858666768