Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LMT CQB MRP 16 vs. KAC SR 15 E

Feedback Score

LMT CQB MRP 16 vs. KAC SR 15 E

Down to a final decision Between the LMT CQB MRP 16 and the KAC SR15 e. Have read a lot about each rifle and was curious about owner comments who have owned both. Price range is about the same. LMT 1600 and the KAC 1650.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    What do you plan on using the rifle for? How many other carbines do you own?

Feedback Score

LMT vs KAC

This is my first Ar15. Have put money away the past year to buy a good quality weapon. Will be used for target competition (local), hunting and self defense.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Not sure how important this is to you, but KAC has a few proprietary parts not compatible with other ARs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    KAC it's the pinnacle of the AR DI system....buy the best the US has to offer.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    All of KAC is great, with the exception of the front sight. Mine wobbled and would throw off POA. I ended up throwing a Troy on it. After almost two years, the button holding the front sight on fell off. The roll pin for it likely fell out / broke and I lost the button on the range. I e-mailed KAC and they sent me out a replacement and it took three weeks to get here.

Not happy, I wanted to switch rails but didn't want to pay $300 for the URX 3.1 then $300 for the wrench. So I traded it for an MRP CQB. I'm very happy with my LMT sights. But seriously, the LMT has a bit more recoil and is a little heavier. Nothing I can't deal with or aren't willing to deal with. Haven't had the money yet but will be buying a piston kit for it and 300 blackout barrel. Gotta love quick change barrels.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clem View Post
    Not sure how important this is to you, but KAC has a few proprietary parts not compatible with other ARs.
    THe same can be said about the MRP so that is not a valid point
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    THe same can be said about the MRP so that is not a valid point
    Both are valid points. The question then revolves around which parts are proprietary in each.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The reason I only shoot LMT, and KAC rifles these days is largely in part due to the "controversial" proprietary parts or features of them fwiw.

If I were the OP I'd pass on both of the options listed, and maybe look into a Karl Stoner SR-MRP

In all seriousness you can't go wrong with either one of those rifles, I just hold the belief that your at the very cutting edge of AR evolution when you combine an IWS lower with a MRP top. The unmatched versatility, and modularity of this combo yields a gift that keeps on giving. It's the one AR you can't grow out of.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 04-11-12 at 10:33.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'd go with the new MRP, with the slick sides. Almost everything I use for work and play gets mounted on the top (caliber dependent). Personally I'd get the longer rail (if they make a slick version of that), rather than the CQB, because I like putting my hand farther.

Considering the cost to put these guns together, the 5.56 versions of either are not outlandishly priced at all. However, the KAC is far more proud of their 7.62 guns than they have justification. Before anyone asks, I've spent a lot of time with a KAC 7.62 in my hands.

The MRP is a much more versatile upper. If I didn't have numerous ARs when the MRP came out, I would have gotten that as my first, and I would LIKELY have never built more. I think it would be awesome for a first gun, as you could easily swap calibers, steel type, barrel length, DI/piston. It's a very cool system.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast