Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New 3 Gun SG Mossberg 930, Benelli M2 or FN SLP?

Feedback Score
    Thank you for all the info.
    I have been doing action pistol with my son since February.
    I had not shot for a couple of years due to an injury.

He turned 14 and wanted to start really shooting instead of just some prone and paper at the range. I offered him a choice of pistols and he picked a Beretta 92 I have had since 1990. Hell, I offered Glocks, P14, took him to the store to look at XDs and M&Ps, and he picked my old gun.

Anyways, a big heavy 9mm was just what I needed for minimal recoil. I only have 75% strength, range of motion, fine, etc. in my main hand and wrist. So I rolled with a Beretta with him picking up a used one at the LGS so we would not have to keep sharing.

We have done four or five action pistol, then went to a two gun where we both used pistol caliber carbines. (I still get sore and lots of pain from shooting)

He really liked it. He is sticking with 9mm, but I whipped up some wimpy .223 55 grains with 24 grains of W748 and got my AR on. (50 to 75 m are as long as you got to shoot there, so his 1300 fps 9mm has no problems, let alone my light 2700fps AR.

That went well so we did a three gun there. I dug out the Mossberg 500 and We put a few of the Wally World stuff through it and seemed OK. At the match, it functions perfect as a pump does. But I was not ready for the 1 0z 1600fps slugs or the full power 00 buck. My wirst is still hurting. To make it worse, with that short barrel, the light loads were not dropping good, PLUS the sights I put on it ended up way off and we were shooting way high.

He wants to keep doing it, but I need less recoil. I am going to get the 1300 or 1350 Federal Truball slugs and look for some reduced recoil buckshot.
    (anyone with tips please holler regarding the truball slugs and whatever buckshot)
    I am going to see if the Wally World now has number 7 instead of 8 Federal or Winchester bulk packs. It shoots light enough for him, but we want more barrel and better dropping. And I could do with the recoil dampening of a semi even with the light stuff.

Plus it is just harsh running a short pump with guys blazing with the semis.

I looked at the usual suspects, and being a hobby on a budget, the 930 is what we are looking at. Heck, I saw the cool carts instead of lugging everything. Cool, we had a single real Baby Jogger, plus a double one. Then I get home and find out she gave away the double one when we got down to one kid in a stroller 8 years ago, and even the single after no kids in a stroller. So at least a basic muck bucket cart from Tractor Supply and some ATV gun racks are going in the budget also.

I thought a teenagers dental stuff, food and clothes were expensive- his football stuff and the extra ammo are up there too!

I was going to get a 24, but at least one of the places near by only lets you go with a 22 inch shot gun (except for open). So I will get the 22inch JM. If I really want 9 in the tube I hear the Nordic Arms long cap will get that extra in the 22 inch one anyway.

No place local or when I look on the internet has a JM in stock, even the 22 like I guess we need. Even though we run our own pistols, and carbines, we will split the shotgun. I thought about doing heavy metal and sticking with the pump, but as much as I want to grab the P14 and my .308 AR build I did about 7 years ago, I am not ready for that.

We have an Aimpoint Mirco and and EoTech. I have a po boy Hensholdt on a Larue Flip, but not even a real TO scope for us. That will have to wait if ever. Still need a second flip mount for the other po boy magnifier I got out and pull the reticle out for him.

Anyways, the shotgun info is useful. I was not a competition shooter, just a little for work. And I won't ever be competitive now, but it is great to be out there doing this with the boy.

If anyone knows where a JM 22inch is, please let me know. I have signed up for the email notification at Buds Guns in case they get some in.

Oh, here we go-
    He swears he kicked my but. He might have in a stage or two, but the results were put out in total, not by stage, so he did not yet. Just a matter of time I guess though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT5IXlhInqQ
    Thanks for any more info.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MT5IXlhInqQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Last edited by ramairthree; 07-18-12 at 23:15. Reason: link not work

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234