Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Impressions - MaTech BUIS

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

First Impressions - MaTech BUIS

It is only recently that I learned about the MaTech BUIS although apparently it has been around for a few years and it is widely used in Iraq and Afghanistan. Since I am purchasing a Colt 6920 for home defense naturally I started looking for some accesories. I decided to use a CompML2 on my Colt so that dictated that I also get a BUIS. I have looked around and saw several models including those by Troy and GG&G, and I am surprised at how expensive these things are so I did not purchase one right away. The other day though, I read about different BUIS in one of the G&A magazines that come along every so often and there was a blurb and a picture about the MaTech BUIS. At first I dismissed it but when I looked at it again I thought it looked really cool and I tried to find out mroe about it. I soon realized that it was for military issue and thus hard to find. I was bummed but decided to give the old gunbroker a chance and after about a 30 second search I had purchased one. So much for hard to find. I paid $75 for it and when I received it, it was a brand new unit in the wrapper with instructions so I was very pleased. I have not installed this on any rifle yet, but will do so as soon as I pick up my new rifle. I do not think this unit is particularly useful for civilian use but it is quite cool to have your range adjustment be so easy. It is a very distinctive sight and for about half of what you pay for anything else out there I cannot complain. The leaf is spring loaded and when stored it is held in place by a small protrusion on the side of the sight. To me this part may wear out eventually although probably not for an average guy at the range. Here are some pictures I hope you find interesting.

Once I install the sight and have a chance to use it I will post a detailed review.

Feedback Score
    It is not a bad BUIS. It was / is the issued big Army BUIS. Relatively easy to zero with. Went through SDM with it and shot it between 100-500M. Fwiw, I bought Troy Ind BUIS's for my weapons.

Two cautions:
    - The distance adjustment gets knocked around fairly easy;
    - Be careful of over tightening the bolt and stripping / breaking it.
    Yup, I'm a Dinosaur!

Feedback Score
    It's a great BUIS, and all I will run. I learned to trust it on the M4, combine that with the fact you can nearly buy 2 for the price of one Troy or GG&G.

I found all mine recently on gunbroker as well, probably same seller. I've seen these things take a lot of abuse and still remain serviceable.

Feedback Score
    I've seen these things are going for under $40 on ebay and TOS,

It seems as if a new version has come out with an improved clamping device and people are trying to liquidate their stock of the old versions.

Feedback Score
    I bought one b/c it was cheap. My vision of the 'need' for a BUIS means that the aperture is way too small and thus I drilled it out. It seems kinda dainty compared to a Troy or even an ARMS 40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't like the Matech. Small aperture only. The upright tends to snag. Big knobs often found out of adjustment. Needs an hex head for sustainment.

I bought a Troy and stored the (free) Matech.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    The only reason I don't like them is that the range knob gets snagged on your gear when carrying around if you are a right handed shooter.

I don't know how many times I came back from a patrol and found the range on it on something other than I left it.

Feedback Score
    I like them and they're all I run on our carbines here at the house. What I see as the biggest advantage I learned at Camp Bullis when I was at Lackland for CATM school. When we went out to the full distance range, I found that while the M68 is an excellent CQB sight, the dot tended to cover up a lot of the targets at longer ranges. I finally had enough of that, turned off my 68, flipped up the BUIS, set my range and carried on hitting the longer range targets without any further problem.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pryde View Post
    I've seen these things are going for under $40 on ebay and TOS,

It seems as if a new version has come out with an improved clamping device and people are trying to liquidate their stock of the old versions.

Gotta be careful as with almost everything else they have been cloned.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've now seen the $40 ones but I am not too upset. Mine is good and it was still half the price of the commercial ones. i think it will work well for me and if it does not, I am only out $75.....rather than over $100 for anything else out there. I like small appertures anyway.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast