Thread: need lights

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

need lights

I need to outfit 6 carbines with lights and i would like to purchase them all at once. I would like to do scout m600's but even with the best online prices i can find that would be around 1200$. That is a little more than i would like to spend on lights, but if i can not find anything that will do the job for less i will just bite the bullet and purchase scouts.

My requirements are:
    Surefire
    Minimum 200 lumens (more would be preferred)
    Focused beam with little spill
    Single output
    Strobe (this is the only optional)

I live In a rural area and there is roughly 0% possibility i will ever need to clear a house. Main use would be for outdoor use. That is why i would like a more focused beam. I know 200 is not a lot for output, but i would like to get the most distance i can.

I have seen the g and 6p series in single output with 200 lumens but i have heard that they are not the best for mounting on firearms. All firearms are 556 so they are not going to have to withstand a lot of recoil.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Single output cannot = strobe. Strobe automatically means it is at least dual right?

Sounds like one of the new inexpensive surefire LED's would fit your bill. Somewhere in the realm of $65

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As is single output i mean only a 200 lumen output. To me strobe is a mode the light functions in. So a light with 200 lumens and a normal setting and a strobe setting would be a single output dual mode or function light.

I always thought output was just the amount of light and functions were strobe, constant on, and temporarly on. Im not sure that is just how i thought it worked.

The cheaper Surefires are not listed as weapon lights and i have heard of problems when they are mounted. Like switching off under recoil.

I would rather spend the money on scouts if the cheaper lights are gonna have problems.

Which of the cheaper lights would you recommend?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Looked at the X series? X300 sounds close to what you're looking for minus the strobe.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I tried one that now resides on a pistol i gave my sister for Christmas last year. I just could not get used to it on a rifle. It would also be nice if it were a little brighter or better use of the light. Less spill and more focused. The strobe is just gravy if it has it, but that is the only one that i do not need.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    There's any number of lights produced by SF where, officially, they'll say some analogue of "not recommended for weapon-mounted use" for the purposes of their liability, yet they'll be holding their index finger alongside their nose and vigorously winking while they say it to you.

The G2X would be one of those, and $66 before delivery, lookee-here: http://www.skdtac.com/SureFire-G2X-T...-p/sur.170.htm

I've got one of these, mounted to a VTAC TRX Extreme tube on an Impact Weapons Components "Radial", though there's any number of mounting solutions to be had to match a user's wants/needs (see the stickied thread at the top of this subforum). Only 4000 rounds, so far, but I'm in the habit of just dropping my (Condition 4) carbine to the ground, and the whole gun's also taken a couple of nasty spills down Shenendoah hillsides one day when I had an attack of The Clutzes (while attached to me, but STILL.... ). I'm also not the only dude with a G2X on his gun with some decent throughput/usage; the EAG Tactical T&E carbines that mount a G2X are just the most prominent examples I can cite, since they make my measly 4k look like clown-shoes.

Only forthcoming alteration I'm...well, attempting, at the moment; I think I need to get a set of split-ring pliers....is to swap the stock, momentary-only switch for a McClicky "medium" tension tailcap (http://www.oveready.com/a-upgrades/t...-/prod_23.html) IOT provide a constant-on function, at need. If that doesn't go (i.e., I ruin the tailcap), I'll just get a Z59 tailcap.

EDIT: Installation instructions did NOT come with it the Mc Clicky, and I completely missed the link of the site (dumb!). Lucky that I stopped trying to install where I did, otherwise I was certain to ruin my tailcap if I'd kept up with what I had planned: http://www.oveready.com/images/uploads/mcclicky.html
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Last edited by Hehuhates; 07-18-12 at 12:55.
    L.L. this, L.L. that, soon as I walk in the place.....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks that was the info i was looking for. I have an EAG tactical upper and if they are using the g2x it has to be good enough for me.