Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Build (Spikes and PSA)

Feedback Score

My First Build (Spikes and PSA)

This is my first AR build, but I've done a lot of research prior to picking each one of my components. I was on a budget, so my goal was to get a rifle that was good quality at a decent price. (Enter PSA and Spike's) It's mainly for the range, but will double as my primary weapon should I have the need for it. I'm pleased with both the Spikes and PSA parts on this rig.

Upper specs:

-PSA 16" medium profile Mid-length CL MP Premium Upper (4150 cmv) with MOE handguard, minus bcg and CH.
    -BCM bcg (PSA was out of stock at the time, so I figured why not get one of the best available. I also did not want to skimp on this part).
    -BCM mod 4 charging handle (since this is a part that gets a lot of use, I wanted to go better than stock)
    -Magpul gen 2 rear sight (quality but not overly expensive)
    -Primary Arms M3 multi reticle red dot sight (based on reviews on this site and others, I opted for this quality but lower priced sight). It holds zero perfectly and the brightness settings are sufficient. Reticles are crisp and the dot is nice, round and small.....not just a red blob.
    -Magpul rvg
    -Phantom 5c2 flash suppressor
    -Spike's punisher/american flag dust cover (don't make fun of me, I got it because I liked it, and it actually closes MUCH easier than the one supplied with the PSA upper. So, it actually turned out to be a FUNCTIONAL upgrade.

Lower specs:
    -Spike's Tactical stripped lower
    -PSA lpk (after polishing the contact surfaces it has a very crisp trigger pull with NO creep).
    -MOE trigger guard and MOE plus grip (I love the rubbery feel of this grip)
    -PSA MOE mil spec stock kit
    -Spikes ST-T2 heavy buffer
    -KNS precision gen2 mod2 anti roll trigger and hammer pins (just for some extra insurance. It also helped a little with the nice trigger pull)
    -I painted the semi, auto, and safe pictograms myself. It actually looks much better in person.

I know that some have had problems with PSA having misaligned feed ramps. Mine are perfect, as shown in the attached pictures (Note my CZ 75 P-01 lurking in the shadows ).

And here's the family:

I brought this gun out to the range only once, but it was enough for me to know that I love this rifle. I used M855 green tip with no malfunctions. It shoots pretty soft and I was able to get .75" three shot groups with iron sights at 50 yards. (Not bad for a new shooter I guess) I shot a little better with the red dot. Sighting in was simple, especially since the magpul mbus came sighted in already. Overall, I found that all parts of this rifle complement each other very well. I am more than pleased.
    Last edited by Nick504; 07-11-12 at 20:21. Reason: Typo

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Pics do not work.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Check it now, I think I fixed it. Sorry about that.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not bad for a first rifle. You won't get a lot of praise for your choice of parts, but the BCG and CH are at least top notch. Do you mind me asking what you got the whole thing for less the red dot?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    You know that PSA and ST don't get along right??

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    You know that PSA and ST don't get along right??

C4
    Is that like crossing the streams?

OP, go have fun with it. Buy tons of ammo and go practice!
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrigandTwoFour View Post
    Is that like crossing the streams?

OP, go have fun with it. Buy tons of ammo and go practice!
    LOL, yes exactly!

The weapon will self destruct upon firing.

C4

Feedback Score
    I don't know too much about the social relationship between these two companies, but I do know that it shoots beautifully. So, these two companies get along VERY well on my rifle. I couldn't care less about any of that other stuff.

I was initially going to get a Spike's upper as well, but finding one in stock proved to be nearly impossible. I didn't intentionally build a rifle with a different upper and lower, that's just the way it worked out. So, admittedly, PSA was my second choice. I don't have any regrets now though. After putting it all together and test driving it, I love it.

I can't remember exactly how much I paid for it since I did it with individual pieces, but I do know it was under $1,000.

As far as my choices of equipment on this rig, it all came pretty highly recommended based on the research I have done. Even though it's not in the Big 3 or 4 of brand names, I believe my rifle is quality where it counts. (FN barrel and BCM bcg to name a couple) I don't expect to have ANY problems with it if I maintain it properly.

Thanks for the responses guys.
    Last edited by Nick504; 07-12-12 at 20:55.

Feedback Score
    Looks like you've got a nice rifle there. Have fun and shoot a ton of rounds through it. I like it and I like Spikes and PSA...

Sent from my ADR8995 using Tapatalk 2

I also deal with 5-10% of the population 80-90% of the time...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice weapon. Very KISS and good for the budget in this economy.

Use the money you save on ammo, and get a better quality optic mount. In my view and budget rifle is meant to save money for ammo and quality accessories that make the weapon better.
    Last edited by Mauser KAR98K; 07-12-12 at 16:05.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

SPORTS are for Kids!...click*

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast