Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Build (Spikes and PSA)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Thanks for sharing and explaining why you choose that parts you did.

FWIW, one can put together a 100% BCM carbine for $917.

Also, the Magpul MBUS was not presighted for you.
    Do a search on mechanical zero.

Have fun with your new rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Anybody that owns or sells pistol versions of assault rifles is a bottom feeder, irregardless of the ban status of certain ammunition.

They are illigetimate weapons that have no real purpose other than to attract retards to the gun community.

Feedback Score
    @polymorpheous-- I don't fully understand the "mechanical zero" concept. What I meant by that was that the factory middle position for windage on the magpul mbus, coupled with the A2 front post factory elevation position was poa poi. I didn't touch either one and it was right on.

I know that I probably could have gotten a basic BCM carbine for around the same price, but I still would have had to spend money on MOE handguard, Magpul rear sight, magpul rvg, MOE stock, trigger guard, etc, etc....MY cost was with 200 rounds of ammo to bring to the range. FWIW, I could have put together a basic PSA mid-length for $672.84. The point is, I got a few upgrades and many extras to configure my rifle the way I wanted it all for under $1000, (minus the red dot of course) which was my goal when I started this build.

As I said before, I believe that my rifle is of sufficient quality where it counts. I'm happy with it at least.
    Last edited by Nick504; 07-12-12 at 20:35.

Feedback Score
    @Mauser and Whitetailer, I appreciate it guys. Yeah, I may wind up getting a more quality mount, but I'll stick with this one for now as long as it stays tight and holds its position. Time will tell.
    Last edited by Nick504; 07-12-12 at 20:56.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Go confirm your zeros (Irons and RDS independently) and go shoot it and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser KAR98K View Post
    Use the money you save on ammo, and get a better quality optic mount. In my view and budget rifle is meant to save money for ammo and quality accessories that make the weapon better.
    Agreed. OP I'd save to get another RDS that'll be more reliable. If you have the time, I did a write-up recently to give an example of how inexpensively Aimpoints can be found ($2xx). If you're not opposed to buying used, it's actually not much more $ than a Primary Arms, Barska, Vortex, etc.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=373104

Feedback Score
    I actually already did confirm my zeroes on my range trip last week. I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but I actually really like the sight picture with the magpul mbus and A2 front post.

As far as the Primary Arms sight, I probably won't replace it until it gives me reason to. I realize it's not as good as some others, but if it treats me right, I'll keep it on my gun. It has held zero thus far and 450 hours of continuous run time on a medium setting is all I need. (Info I obtained from the owner of the company) I also like the multi reticle set up on it.

I respect your opinion and know that a better sight is always a good idea, it's just not in the cards for me right now. My brother in law who's in the army said he may be able to get me a used acog with the fiber optic set up. If that happens, then AWESOME. If not, the P.A. sight will stay. And to me, that's not a bad thing.
    Last edited by Nick504; 07-12-12 at 21:34.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    + 1 to what munch said about finding them cheap. I think it was him that turned me onto a aimpoint M3 for 250 with a KAC mount. Btw I don't think I ever did thank you for that Munch. Many thanks.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow50 View Post
    + 1 to what munch said about finding them cheap. I think it was him that turned me onto a aimpoint M3 for 250 with a KAC mount. Btw I don't think I ever did thank you for that Munch. Many thanks.
    Happy to help bud. My thread was in no way intended to take business from the great vendors that are contributing members on this and other sites. But when finances are in a pinch, it seems like optics are what some folks skimp on. It was just a suggestion/alternative to those who can't stomach the price of one new.
    Last edited by munch520; 07-12-12 at 21:43.

Feedback Score
    I appreciate it man, I may go the route of purchasing a used Aimpoint for my next build. But that may be a while.
    Last edited by Nick504; 07-12-12 at 21:59.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Sweet build man. My first build was on a Spike's lower! How do you like the flash suppressor?
    OIF/OEF vet (Ramadi/Hit & Ghazni)
    Former Army infantry squad leader
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    NR-EMT

Feedback Score
    Thanks man! I really like this flash suppressor. I can't see any flash coming out of it, and it will do some damage in a CQB situation. Plus, I think it looks pretty cool.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast