Thread: Fire/Water proof document safe

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Fire/Water proof document safe

I just got my first Form 1 stamp back and I am looking for a fire/water proof document safe for it and some other stuff. This will be going inside of my gun safe so fire/water protection is more important than theft protection.

I was looking at the Sentry stuff, but it all seems to get kinda bad reviews for either the latches, the key tumblers, or the hinges being bad.

I was thinking 1 hour fire protection looked like the way to go, but Sentry only has 2 units in what I am looking for(a small chest-F2300 and a large document file folder type-F3300). The F3300 seems to be discontinued and the F2300 gets bad reviews for the latch and the hinges being garbage.

The First Alert 2040F seems to have great reviews, is 1 hour rated, but is setup for media with an internal compartment that I dont believe can be removed. The 2037F also has great reviews, but is only 30 minute rated.

Is 1 hour overkill for what I am going to be protecting? Is 30 minutes enough since I will be storing it in my gun safe which itself has its own 30 minute rating?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    I just got my first Form 1 stamp back and I am looking for a fire/water proof document safe for it and some other stuff. This will be going inside of my gun safe so fire/water protection is more important than theft protection.

I was looking at the Sentry stuff, but it all seems to get kinda bad reviews for either the latches, the key tumblers, or the hinges being bad.

I was thinking 1 hour fire protection looked like the way to go, but Sentry only has 2 units in what I am looking for(a small chest-F2300 and a large document file folder type-F3300). The F3300 seems to be discontinued and the F2300 gets bad reviews for the latch and the hinges being garbage.

The First Alert 2040F seems to have great reviews, is 1 hour rated, but is setup for media with an internal compartment that I dont believe can be removed. The 2037F also has great reviews, but is only 30 minute rated.

Is 1 hour overkill for what I am going to be protecting? Is 30 minutes enough since I will be storing it in my gun safe which itself has its own 30 minute rating?
    Important personal documents should really be kept in a safe deposit box. When was the last time you heard of a bank burning down?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    Important personal documents should really be kept in a safe deposit box. When was the last time you heard of a bank burning down?
    My father has a safe deposit box I could keep it in. Is there any legal issues with keeping it in somebody else's safe deposit box? I wouldnt think so, but was unsure.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    My father has a safe deposit box I could keep it in. Is there any legal issues with keeping it in somebody else's safe deposit box? I wouldnt think so, but was unsure.
    That is fine, however, God forbid anything happen to your folks, you might not have access to their safe deposit box and its (your) contents for a very long time.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    That is fine, however, God forbid anything happen to your folks, you might not have access to their safe deposit box and its (your) contents for a very long time.
    Im a signatory(or whatever its called) on his safe deposit box so I can access it any time that I want. Its just an hour drive away. Might look in to getting my own, but for now I will drop it in his.

But back to the original topic. I am still interested in getting one of these boxes to keep inside my safe for other stuff. Anybody have any input on them?
    Last edited by rjacobs; 07-15-12 at 14:05.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    A safe deposit box of your own shouldn't be hard to get. My bank charges $25-$50 a year depending on size and will do an automatic debit once a year to keep up payment on it. I got the smallest for originals of birth certificates, passports, home loan info, pics of everything in my house I want homeowners insurance to cover plus small external HDD with same pics plus more data on it. As long as I don't need that info on a weekend I'm gtg and I know it's safe. As soon as I can afford the stamp I'll be putting my trust info and paperwork in it as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2