Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 72

Thread: Surefire Scout Light LED upgrade?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,471
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agile53 View Post
    JC knows what he is talking about as we both have the same source on this.

    Again hard data no, but our source is a SF rep. we + known SMEs/trainers trust.
    Gotcha. Well, I hope your source is accurate. That would be a great upgrade. Will the heads be sold separate at the same time, or will all production be going to complete m600's, or will they be dicks about it and make the heads not compatible with previous m600 bodies?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Posts
    2,251
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Gotcha. Well, I hope your source is accurate. That would be a great upgrade. Will the heads be sold separate at the same time, or will all production be going to complete m600's, or will they be dicks about it and make the heads not compatible with previous m600 bodies?
    My understanding is the head will be sold separately in February and will be compatible with previous scout models. New production scouts will be the 200 lumen mini scout m300a, the 250 lumen scout m600 (a, b or c, I can't think of the designation right now) and the 500 lumen m600u scout ultra.

    I'm pretty sure all heads will be available separately, but the ultra head being sold separately in February was confirmed.

    As to Michael and I having the same source, so does Pat Rogers and other guys posting this same info. It was in a thread on Lightfighter where we all first started talking about this stuff.

    I'm looking forward to it as well... I need to replace a couple stolen lights (and upper, optics, etc.) so this is needed ASAP for me. I'm thinking in January I'll pick up a 620v then buy the 250 and 500 lumen heads when they're available. Then again, the 250 lumen head may just be a waste of money.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~ Paul Howe

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,471
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well, its Feb. And we have none of the above.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,735
    Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Well, its Feb. And we have none of the above.
    Yep. And I just bought another M600A super cheap hoping for this upgrade soon.

    -Jax


    "Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."

    -Ryan Job




    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way.

    AC

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    250
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Well, its Feb. And we have none of the above.
    I am surprised no one asked for the date of these releases at SHOT. They are all in the catalog but the lingering question is WHEN!?

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,463
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Yep, holding off on buying another M300 at this point because I want the updated version. Such a tease...

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,471
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBecker 72 View Post
    Yep, holding off on buying another M300 at this point because I want the updated version. Such a tease...
    I just bought one from G&R.

    The new M300 is likely as not going to use the same head as the EB1, just with on/off only, and those are 100% compatible with M300a/E1B bodies.

    There will be plenty of people who will pay good money for your M300a head (E1B) as Surefire no-longer makes the E1B. A lot of people are mad that the EB1 is "poorly regulated" and begins decreasing significantly in output the second it's turned on. The E1B and M300A are very well regulated, and lose only about 10% output over the first 45 minutes or so of run-time, so having a single-mode E1B head doesn't exactly make you a pariah in the flashlight world. There will be PLENTY of market for it, and who knows when you will get the new M300?

    When you can buy the head, just flip the M300a head like we did the KL4 heads for the KX2C. I sold KL4 heads like candy for $85 a pop off of old M600a's in gently-used condition. KX2C heads ran me around $120. Lost $35+S&H. I could live with that. The M300a should be a near identical story. Weapons aren't the only reason people buy lights. The M300a head has value, now, and in the future for sure, with the death of the E1B and the "poor" regulation of the EB1. Lots of flashlight whores are seriously disappointed in the EB1 because of this.
    Last edited by WS6; 02-03-13 at 10:11.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,152
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skatz11 View Post
    Malkoff drop-in + their VME head is a great setup. TNVC also makes a complete head assembly. No experience with it though.

    I bought a used E1b body and put a VME head with M31 drop-in to make a DIY mini scout light. So far I'm pleased with the performance.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by nanners83 View Post
    VME and Malkoff head is a good option but it might just be cheaper to get a KX2C head.
    They're what the current scout lights use. 200 lumens with the TIR optic. I've come across them for around 100 bucks at a few places.
    This - Get a Malkoff and VME head or E2C adapter with any Surefire C/P/G/Z bezel - the KX2C head is a winner for sure, but you can also use the KL4 head from a M600A. Less lumens than a KX2C, but also smaller and cheaper.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    250
    Feedback Score
    78 (100%)
    I just picked up a NIB M600A for $180, I will probably just pickup a KX2C head for it since I only use my light for Home Defense and 200 lumens works good for me. I can always add a higher lumen head later if I decide I need it.
    Last edited by Brian Brazier; 02-12-13 at 14:37.
    "No man for any considerable period can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true." Nathaniel Hawthorne

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,463
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Yeah, I got tired of waiting and picked up a second M300A. I figure I will get one of the new heads if and when they become available.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brazier View Post
    I just picked up a NIB M600A for $180, I will probably just pickup a KX2C head for it since I only use my light for Home Defense and 200 lumens works good for me. I can always add a higher lumen head later if I decide I need it.
    I had a M600A for a bit that was near brand new when I got it for $175, and I never used it because I didn't like the beam. I sold it on TOS for $150 but kept the UE07 tailcap and picked up a lightly used M600C model for $175. Wasn't worth it spending the extra money on the KX2C head IMO. Long story short I upgraded for $25 rather than $100+.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,152
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Guys... for roughly the same price as a M300A, you can build a superior VTAC/Surefire clone using a Malkoff that will put out more than double the lumens in the same size package. I just ordered this last night for my BCM middy:

    Gear sector offset E series mount: $63
    Malkoff M31 + VME head: $104
    Scout tailcap: $30
    E2b body: $50

    Total cost: $247

    It's more than twice as bright as the M300A, has an offset mount included, same Surefire lifetime warranty (and Malkoff too), just as bombproof (if not moreso), has the ability to upgrade easily (when Gene comes out with a new module, but can also use any P60 style drop in), uses newer technology, weighs about the same, and can be used easily as a hand-held light if need be.

    Superior M600C setup:
    VLTOR mount - $35
    Malkoff M61 + VME head - $104
    Scout tailcap + E2D Body or E2D with head removed - $85

    Total cost - $224
    Last edited by Shao; 02-12-13 at 19:37.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    250
    Feedback Score
    78 (100%)
    I figure the head it comes with will be fine for the time being, maybe when I am ready to upgrade the new 500 lumen head will be out
    "No man for any considerable period can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude, without finally getting bewildered as to which may be the true." Nathaniel Hawthorne

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    13
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    [snip] has the ability to upgrade easily (when Gene comes out with a new module, but can also use any P60 style drop in)
    The VME/M31 combo is definitely a great upgrade for an M300 or E1 series, but last I checked the VME will not accept standard P60 drop-ins. You could of course go with an LU60A from Surefire or any other aftermarket E2C type adapter and Z44/P60 type bezel to fit standard P60 drop-ins but I still think the M31 is the best choice for a single cell weapon light upgrade.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,152
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lobstradomus View Post
    The VME/M31 combo is definitely a great upgrade for an M300 or E1 series, but last I checked the VME will not accept standard P60 drop-ins. You could of course go with an LU60A from Surefire or any other aftermarket E2C type adapter and Z44/P60 type bezel to fit standard P60 drop-ins but I still think the M31 is the best choice for a single cell weapon light upgrade.
    That's right.. You can always use an E to C adapter and stick any C/P/G/Z/M2 bezel on it.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,463
    Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

    Re: Surefire Scout Light LED upgrade?

    One of these days, I'm gonna try a hot rodded Surefire. All of mine are completely original and I find them to be sufficient for my needs.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,471
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBecker 72 View Post
    One of these days, I'm gonna try a hot rodded Surefire. All of mine are completely original and I find them to be sufficient for my needs.

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    It's just cool to have a 700+ OTF lumen 6P.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,735
    Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Another stop gap option fellas is getting the 'older' LX2 200 lumen light. I paid less than $100 for it. If I recall a KX2C head is around the same price. Why not just buy an entire new light and swap out the head?

    I got a 600A for $40. Guy didn't know what he had. Placed the LX2 head on there on voila! Beam pattern is the same.

    -Jax
    Last edited by jaxman7; 02-13-13 at 13:04.


    "Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."

    -Ryan Job




    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way.

    AC

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,471
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxman7 View Post
    Another stop gap option fellas is getting the 'older' LX2 200 lumen light. I paid less than $100 for it. If I recall a KX2C head is around the same price. Why not just buy an entire new light and swap out the head?

    I got a 600A for $40. Guy didn't know what he had. Placed the LX2 head on there on voila! Beam pattern is the same.

    -Jax
    My latest "invention" is an M300A with a Malkoff M31 with XP-G2 led (280 otf lumens, 40 minutes fully regulated full-output run-time), a VME head to put it in, and a sapphire lens with AR coating.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    3,735
    Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Would love to try out that setup WS6.

    What's the beam like? More of a flood or narrow? How does it compare with an X300 or 600C? have zero experience with Malkoff.

    -Jax
    Last edited by jaxman7; 02-13-13 at 16:42.


    "Despite what your mamma told you, violence does solve problems."

    -Ryan Job




    Quote Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
    "Elite" designations come from the things that you DO in life, and not from the things that you buy along the way.

    AC

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,471
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxman7 View Post
    Would love to try out that setup WS6.

    What's the beam like? More of a flood or narrow? How does it compare with an X300 or 600C? have zero experience with Malkoff.

    -Jax
    Module is here, but it's locked up in my apartment office. I will provide beamshots next week. In the mean-time, check your PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •