Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Never owned an AR...building my first one starting now

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Never owned an AR...building my first one starting now

Well I'm starting out with a PSA stripped lower and their LPK. Originally I was going with the ACT trigger but after talking to the guys at PSA they talked me out of it saying the stock trigger wouldn't be much worse if at all over the ACT. Later I will switch to a SSA. I would like ANY advice on the install such as which lube, and where to use it. Most all of the PSA stuff come with oil already on them in the bag. My little 1 year old has been wanting to climb mount daddy all night so I haven't gotten much done. Only thing I've done so far is the mag release and that took all of 30 seconds. Here are some pics so far.

And here is the punch kit I got to do the install.

The guy at PSA suggested anytime I use the punch to tape up the lower so I don't scratch it. Anyone have any other good tips? I would like to know what to do with the trigger area. Should I use grease on it? Right now it is just oiled in it's bag. Tomorrow I'm going out to get some good needle nose pliers and grease if I need to. If you guys could give me any tips on what type tools or oil/grease to get that would be helpful.

The guy that sold it to me at PSA just suggested I watch Youtube videos and ask on the boards. I cannot say enough good things about PSA. Their place was HUGE! It had an indoor range and you could eat off the floor. Everyone there was super helpful and nice! I tried to get a buffer tube but they were all sold out. No big deal though. Well guys I guess it's official now right?
    Last edited by Stopsign32v; 07-22-12 at 00:41.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I like using surgical hemostats https://www.google.com/search?q=surg...w=1280&bih=593 they have a locking feature thats real useful with detents under spring pressure (espfront pivot pin detent) and other small part tasks.. Which vids are you watching for building?
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    2 (67%)
    Please post pics as you go through the build. I always love seeing them come from the ground up. You'll love the build!
    Garry Owen!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Let us know how it goes assembling the PSA. Are you buying a complete upper or are you assembling one from a stripped upper, barrel, ect? I am located in Columbia, SC and have several mutual friends with one of the owners so they are really popular in the circle I run with. Another one of my friends has the 16th or 17th AR that they ever built. I like them a lot but I am not a huge fan of the sloppy assembly of some of their complete uppers (misaligned feedramps and some things like that) so putting it together yourself might be a better option because they have quality parts if you take the time to care about how precisely your weapon is assembled. You really can't beat the price though... they only run an approx 5% markup on their rifles so do them a favor and buy your accessories from them too because that is what allows them to keep their rifles at such a reasonable price point.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Moved to where it belongs, presuming some info is added. See last sentence: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=82447
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    66 (100%)
    I usually soak the LPK in alcohol, clean/dry off, and then use Frog Lube on the parts (after heating with a blow dryer). I have the SSA trigger in all my AR's, it's awesome. it helps to have an extra set of hands to install the bolt catch, but can be done by yourself. ssdsurf, a member here, has some great youtube videos on assembly.
    Part 1:
    http://youtu.be/CAQKaDb80H4
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    - Richard Henry Lee, 1788

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Dental picks, found at wal-mart or big grocery store will help with holding springs back to install detents and the take down pins. just depress the spring in it's housing and stick the pick into tiny the access hole. You should be able to figure it out seeing that you got the mag release in with no problems.

And I second the frog lube. However, I use my wife's ceramic plate electric candle melter. It's called a "cozy-up warmer".

http://www.amazon.com/Beverage-Warme.../dp/B001QI3C5U

I just put a small dish for dipping sauces on there and a glob of frog lube in the dish. The frog lube melts pretty quick; then use a small paint brush to apply the lube to gun parts. It smells good too.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
    - Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    Dental picks, found at wal-mart or big grocery store will help with holding springs back to install detents and the take down pins. just depress the spring in it's housing and stick the pick into tiny the access hole. You should be able to figure it out seeing that you got the mag release in with no problems.

And I second the frog lube. However, I use my wife's ceramic plate electric candle melter. It's called a "cozy-up warmer".

http://www.amazon.com/Beverage-Warme.../dp/B001QI3C5U

I just put a small dish for dipping sauces on there and a glob of frog lube in the dish. The frog lube melts pretty quick; then use a small paint brush to apply the lube to gun parts. It smells good too.
    Thanks, I also will use syringe to inject lube/grease in older guns with hard to get spots. Warming up lub, to lower viscosity opens up possibilities.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When installing the bolt release, use masking tape to protect the finish of the lower. Use as long a punch as possible. In the photo below, you can see the brass punch next to the hammer that I used in assembling my PSA

It worked much better than the short punch I used when assembling my Precision AR

Here is a link to a how-to for installing an SSA-E trigger but the stock trigger installs the same way. Don't forget to lube the sears & pivots prior to installation
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=72111&page=2

I've put quite a few rounds through my PSA and have been very happy with it
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    When installing the bolt release, use masking tape to protect the finish of the lower. Use as long a punch as possible. In the photo below, you can see the brass punch next to the hammer that I used in assembling my PSA

It worked much better than the short punch I used when assembling my Precision AR

Here is a link to a how-to for installing an SSA-E trigger but the stock trigger installs the same way. Don't forget to lube the sears & pivots prior to installation
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=72111&page=2

I've put quite a few rounds through my PSA and have been very happy with it
    I am assuming that is just some funky lighting and your rifle isn't really orange right?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast