Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Never owned an AR...building my first one starting now

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I am actually a little sick and tired of people saying that you can use a set of Vise-grips over this or there is no need to hammer a roll pin, just crush it push it through.

If you are too cheap to buy the correct tools (starter punches, roll pin punches, or standard punches) and too cheap to buy the proper wrenches, blocks, etc... leave it to those that aren't.

I also don't think that displaying the wrong tools being used sends a good message to other newbies. One thing for sure is that there is no way some of the above would have left the shop and went to a customer looking like that.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I am actually a little sick and tired of people saying that you can use a set of Vise-grips over this or there is no need to hammer a roll pin, just crush it push it through.

If you are too cheap to buy the correct tools (starter punches, roll pin punches, or standard punches) and too cheap to buy the proper wrenches, blocks, etc... leave it to those that aren't.

I also don't think that displaying the wrong tools being used sends a good message to other newbies. One thing for sure is that there is no way some of the above would have left the shop and went to a customer looking like that.
    I actually shuddered and cringed when I read that about vice grips.
    Last edited by lunchbox; 07-28-12 at 19:48.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    and a magnet to help with the little PITA pins

Looking forward to seeing how this rifle progresses. What do you plan to use it for?
    Love the telescoping magnet as well as magnet bowl http://www.sears.com/craftsman-magne...p-00941328000P
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm most definately not a cheap person but if I can walk a straight line and get to the goal instead of walking around an object I will take the straight line every time. Did you fail to see where I had bought a set of punches? Not only that but it's my money so why do you care how I do it?

I got detailed instructions from an AR15 site how to use the vice grips with step by step pictures. So how is that "doing it wrong"? I can supply the link I used that way you can contact them to have it taken down since that isn't the correct way.

Lastly I don't own a gunsmithing shop nor do I plan to so how my weapons would leave and go to my imaginary customers doesn't matter.

**It's a late/bad night at work so if anything seems out of line I apologize but I found your post very distasteful, especially for a moderator with your amount of posts.
    Last edited by Stopsign32v; 07-31-12 at 22:07.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Some people seem to think these things require rocket science.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopsign32v View Post
    I'm most definately not a cheap person but if I can walk a straight line and get to the goal instead of walking around an object I will take the straight line every time. Did you fail to see where I had bought a set of punches? Not only that but it's my money so why do you care how I do it?

I got detailed instructions from an AR15 site how to use the vice grips with step by step pictures. So how is that "doing it wrong"? I can supply the link I used that way you can contact them to have it taken down since that isn't the correct way.

Lastly I don't own a gunsmithing shop nor do I plan to so how my weapons would leave and go to my imaginary customers doesn't matter.

**It's a late/bad night at work so if anything seems out of line I apologize but I found your post very distasteful, especially for a moderator with your amount of posts.
    Was this site ar15.com? Usally professionals dont like unprofesional advise (I get told all the time) If you took a little pride in your work, you just might get customers. I have made a couple of dollars here and there just by a random people impressed with my home build.
    Last edited by lunchbox; 07-31-12 at 22:55.
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    Was this site ar15.com? Usally professionals dont like unprofesional advise (I get told all the time) If you took a little pride in your work, you just might get customers. I have made a couple of dollars here and there just by a random people impressed with my home build.
    I have a good job and I do this on the side just like I race on the side. If I had someone ask me to build them a gun I'd tell them the same thing I tell people that ask me to work on their car or build a motor for them. "Thanks but I don't work on other people's things, I only work on my own."

This was the first gun I've ever put together. One of the reasons I decided to go with a $70 lower over the $250 lower I wanted is because I knew I was learning at this point, not because I'm cheap. This hobby using the best of the best is WAY cheaper than my other hobby!

And lets please not turn this into a pissing match or anything. This is my gun and this was the way I decided to build it.
    Last edited by Stopsign32v; 07-31-12 at 23:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a good job and I do this on the side just like I race on the side. If I had someone ask me to build them a gun I'd tell them the same thing I tell people that ask me to work on their car or build a motor for them. "Thanks but I don't work on other people's things, I only work on my own."

This was the first gun I've ever put together. One of the reasons I decided to go with a $70 lower over the $250 lower I wanted is because I knew I was learning at this point, not because I'm cheap. This hobby using the best of the best is WAY cheaper than my other hobby!

And lets please not turn this into a pissing match or anything. This is my gun and this was the way I decided to build it.
    Exactly what IG was saying about giving out advice, maybe you shold have told them what may work on your with your satisfaction might not be for them. Noobs reading may think this good idea on their$250 lower.
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    Exactly what IG was saying about giving out advice, maybe you shold have told them what may work on your with your satisfaction might not be for them. Noobs reading may think this good idea on their$250 lower.
    Well if they do think it's a good idea then I hope they read where I put what I would have done differently with the tape. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm most definately not a cheap person but if I can walk a straight line and get to the goal instead of walking around an object I will take the straight line every time. Did you fail to see where I had bought a set of punches? Not only that but it's my money so why do you care how I do it?....

"...distasteful,..." Yes, you are right Iraqgunz doesn't taste very good, but he is nourishing, so just listen to him, roll with the punches and all will be well inside your AR... welcome to M4C
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast