Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16" Barrel vs 14.5"+Pinned Flash Hider

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

16" Barrel vs 14.5"+Pinned Flash Hider

I've been reading a lot on the forum in preparation for building an AR. One thing I'm not sure of is the choice between a 16" barrel and a 14.5" barrel with a pinned FH. Is one preferable to the other. Is it a matter of rifle purpose? I'm just curious what factors drive this decision.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    One isn't better than the other. 16" is recommended because it's easier for the shooter to change their muzzle device.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    There are no appreciable/detrimental functional/technical differences.

Some prefer the ability to swap muzzle devices, some perceive a value to the shorter barrel.

But any differences are purely personal/cosmetic. On a practical level they are the same.

The Private Citizen
    Liberty — Independence — Responsibility — Resolve

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivateCitizen View Post
    There are no appreciable/detrimental functional/technical differences.

Some prefer the ability to swap muzzle devices, some perceive a value to the shorter barrel.

But any differences are purely personal/cosmetic. On a practical level they are the same.
    That pretty much covers it. I personally went with the pinned 14.5", but I have no intention of changing the muzzle device. So I went with the shortest/lightest setup I could get.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank you for the replies.

Feedback Score
    If this is your first ar, i would not recommend going with 14.5. You WILL end up changing your mind about something. Whether it being the muzzle device, going with a pinned fsb or low pro gas block, or changing out your rails. Having a permmed FH will make changing any of that a lot more difficult.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by badness View Post
    If this is your first ar, i would not recommend going with 14.5. You WILL end up changing your mind about something. Whether it being the muzzle device, going with a pinned fsb or low pro gas block, or changing out your rails. Having a permmed FH will make changing any of that a lot more difficult.
    That's good advice. You probably won't realize exactly what you want until after you get your first one.

Feedback Score
    I for sure agree with going 16" first. Get a 14" when you know what's up and can appreciate it. I don't own a 14" yet but I know what I'd want on one now after learning how I personally like things. We're all different.
    Last edited by Casull; 03-21-12 at 18:11.
    Muzzle punch optional.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    IMO, it is purely aesthetic. I doubt you'll lose much MV when barrel is cut down to 14.5.

Feedback Score
    Bit of weight shaved, bit more swingability, shorter, less dwell time in front of the gas block making fore a little nicer running.
    Last edited by Casull; 03-21-12 at 18:38.
    Muzzle punch optional.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast