Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: 50,000 (now 88K) rounds and counting: Springfield Operator

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    ....and the barrel, number 4, with at this time 30K through it. 95% or more lead semi wadcutters.

Feedback Score
    That really is just a thing of beauty. I'm curious, how much wiggle should the slide to frame have? Or what would be considered normal? My SA loaded seems a bit loose, but may just be me.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Impressive, most impressive.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    noyce
    I believe in peace, love and extremely violent weapons systems... just in case that whole peace-and-love thing doesn't work out.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thoynks.

Well this gun had a good slide-to-frame from the factory. Nothing special or custom, just happened to be on the good side of the spectrum, Operators being usually better put-together than some other SA models. Lots of contact area, clean and crisp rail surfaces. It is not tight, it is not even wiggle-free, but still less movement than most guns from the factory. The slide to frame fit on this one will not be the life limiter on this one.

Feedback Score
    I rarely post, but I wanted to say thanks for keeping up with this thread. I hope my 1911s have that much "character" one day.

What generally is the "life limiter" on a production pistol such as this Operator?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Leaving out some catastrophic event that ruins the frame, I'd say it would be a crack in the slide.... in which case you could just get a new slide. A crack in the frame maybe, but I have a Colt that comes back once a year or so for maintenance or a new barrel, and the frame has cracked a few times in a few places--- I just welded them up. The slide cracked-- I'd have replaced it but the owner insisted on trying a hole at the terminus of the crack and it has held for another, well, tens of thousands (maybe not a LOT of tens, but tens). Some small parts will go by the wayside no matter who makes them at these round counts.

Here's a thread about this welded-up high-miler. http://forum.ltwguns.com/viewtopic.p...t=High+Mileage

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply Ned!, seems mine will likely be fine. Hope for mine too look as good as that one some day, love that well used look.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Love the look of that, someday I hope to have one that looks like that..

I read thru the whole thing but maybe I missed it. I would assume with this much shooting and training that he doesn't over clean this my any means. What's his lube choice on this?

Thanks for the post and taking the time to answer the questions on here!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Of my high-volume friends, of all of them really, Rob is the best "maintainer" of the bunch. I'll ask him what he prefers but I'm going to guess he's not picky about the lube.

Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast